The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Ok, I've said it a million times, I am just not a good at CEs & the time limits (1st dead, 2nd live) to correct. So I just choose not to have em.
The CE rules simply require some focused attention - and, I find, a refresher look every once in a while. They are not nearly as complicated as people make them out to be, just very specific.

So, once you learn what qualifies as a CE (not too difficult once you focus on learning it), then learning the timing rules is all you need to do. And even that isn't as complicated as you need, as there are only two different scenarios (clock running or not when the error is made).
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Looks to me, after finally watching the entire video (rather than just the first part), that they did talk to the table. What did the table say?
Table said "No basket"...after watching the video, makes me think they were completely bias.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Table said "No basket"...after watching the video, makes me think they were completely bias.
Did you have representation from both teams at the table?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:37pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
If the three officials don't know and they go to the table...the table is final decision correct?

So if the table says "no goal" then we don't have a goal.
No. The officials decision is the final decision. All the table does is provide information.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're absolutely right Snaqs, perhaps you can tutor me over the summer. #seriously
I keep talking big about going up there to work some games with you, but we'll have to make it happen soon.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you have representation from both teams at the table?
There was representation from both teams, but I didn't have the conversation with the table. My R had the conversation.

As many of you probably assumed or figured out, I'm the L in this video.

I suspected the ball went in from the reaction of the crowd, the sound of the net, the movement of the net. But I couldn't be positive because my "focus" was on the big man.

When my C and T started running the other way as if the ball had not entered the basket, I figured they had a much better view and I trusted that the ball had not gone in.

The coach asked me if we were going to count that as a "3". He did not ask me if he ball went in. I told him "Give us one sec coach, I had a blocked view coach, but we will figure it out." whistle, foul, we start to talk.

I approach the C and he says to me, "I don't know if it went in." I say, okay let me check with the (old) T.

The T says to me, "I think it went in." I say okay, you're the only one who thinks anything, so let's go with that. He went to the scorer's table to count the basket and that's when the C started his whole display about how the ball didn't go in.

At this point, I'm on the sideline thinking "My partner just left us no recourse." He waived off the basket that he wasn't sure went in or didn't.

It was frustrating.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
It was frustrating.
I can imagine.

I'm OK with what you did here based upon what you knew at the time. Did the C "Big Time" you guys a bit? I noticed he is wearing college stripes while you two are not. I still would like to know what he saw as a foul also.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The coach asked me if we were going to count that as a "3". He did not ask me if he ball went in. I told him "Give us one sec coach, I had a blocked view coach, but we will figure it out." whistle, foul, we start to talk.

I approach the C and he says to me, "I don't know if it went in." I say, okay let me check with the (old) T.

The T says to me, "I think it went in." I say okay, you're the only one who thinks anything, so let's go with that. He went to the scorer's table to count the basket and that's when the C started his whole display about how the ball didn't go in.
At this point, I'm on the sideline thinking "My partner just left us no recourse." He waived off the basket that he wasn't sure went in or didn't.

It was frustrating.
Wow, just wow. He went from "I don't know" to whole hearted fundamentalism that fast?
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, just wow. He went from "I don't know" to whole hearted fundamentalism that fast?
Exactly.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I can imagine.

I'm OK with what you did here based upon what you knew at the time. Did the C "Big Time" you guys a bit? I noticed he is wearing college stripes while you two are not. I still would like to know what he saw as a foul also.
First half he did. And he was ruining the game. Second half, I took control and he shrunk. It was a great learning experience.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Good for you and good for you on putting this out here. It helps us all get better. Maybe even Brad will get his vision checked because of it.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Did the C "Big Time" you guys a bit? I noticed he is wearing college stripes while you two are not.
He doesnt do ANY college

Toren, I think in this situation we should send players to their benches & all 3 get together instead of two seperate conferences.

The R would've said he "thought" it went in, the C would've said he didnt know & you would have the deciding vote, although it was the Rs ultimate decision.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
He doesnt do ANY college
Well that figures...and more than a little ironic too. Makes me glad we went to grey for varsity.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:21pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

Big of you to put this on here for viewing and discussion, Toren. Strong work.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Get real. It is fine and dandy to say we should not NEED the still shots to determine that the ball went in, BUT to say the pictures are "too grainy" to be conclusive, is just silly.
Quote:
The original stills that were posted are too inconclusive. Until Toren went and got Abby Sciuto to fix them, all we had was speculation but no real proof.

Exactly...the original still shots couldn't even be used to prove there was a ball in the picture much less whether it was or was not in the basket.

However, the later still shots were 100% conclusive....ball in basket.