The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Unusual NCAA throw-in violation

NCAAW game tonight: USC at Cal.
During OT USC makes a basket with 46.3 secs remaining. A Cal player goes OOB with the ball, the 5-second count starts, she drops the ball on the OOB part of the floor and steps inbounds clearly intending for a teammate to execute the throw-in. No one comes and she returns OOB and grabs the ball.

The administering official correctly whistles a throw-in violation per NCAA AR 185.

We've discussed this action before, when the NCAA made this AR. I didn't like it then and still don't now. I looked at the actual rules cited in the AR and none of them prohibit this action. Basically, I think that whoever made the interpretation made a bogus decision.

So here is my question for the HS officials out there: would you call a violation for this in a HS game? I don't believe that there is a specific case play from NFHS stating that it is illegal as there is from the NCAA.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

This has happened a couple times

Seen it a couple times this year. Always in girls games for some reason. I haven't blown a violation yet, but both times were very close on the 5 second count.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:43am
C'mon man!!

How about 9-2-10 note?
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NCAAW game tonight: USC at Cal.
During OT USC makes a basket with 46.3 secs remaining. A Cal player goes OOB with the ball, the 5-second count starts, she drops the ball on the OOB part of the floor and steps inbounds clearly intending for a teammate to execute the throw-in. No one comes and she returns OOB and grabs the ball.

The administering official correctly whistles a throw-in violation per NCAA AR 185.

We've discussed this action before, when the NCAA made this AR. I didn't like it then and still don't now. I looked at the actual rules cited in the AR and none of them prohibit this action. Basically, I think that whoever made the interpretation made a bogus decision.

So here is my question for the HS officials out there: would you call a violation for this in a HS game? I don't believe that there is a specific case play from NFHS stating that it is illegal as there is from the NCAA.
I think the interpretation is spot on. The rule - both in NFHS and NCAA - gives the thrower two options on a throw-in following a made/awarded field goal or free throw:

1. Throw the ball to a teammate who is out of bounds along the end line (7-5-7a/7-5-6b)
2. Throw the ball directly onto the court and have someone else be the first to touch it (7-6-2/7-6-3)

In your example and in NCAA AR 185, the thrower doesn't do either of those. They end up throwing it to themselves while out of bounds. That's not one of the options.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I think the interpretation is spot on. The rule - both in NFHS and NCAA - gives the thrower two options on a throw-in following a made/awarded field goal or free throw:

1. Throw the ball to a teammate who is out of bounds along the end line (7-5-7a/7-5-6b)
2. Throw the ball directly onto the court and have someone else be the first to touch it (7-6-2/7-6-3)

In your example and in NCAA AR 185, the thrower doesn't do either of those. They end up throwing it to themselves while out of bounds. That's not one of the options.
Not sure that is a good arguement. They can run the line, they can "dribble", they can toss it up and catch it. Not sure throwing it to themselves is really a reason to justify the ruling.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sure that is a good arguement. They can run the line, they can "dribble", they can toss it up and catch it. Not sure throwing it to themselves is really a reason to justify the ruling.
The interpretation appears to be dealing with what the thrower does when he/she releases the ball with the intent on giving it to someone else. I know I'm making an assumption here but I think the logic makes sense.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 09:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It happens quite often: Jennie takes the ball OOB, only to remember that Cindy is supposed to be the thrower-in. So she drops it, but Cindy isn't coming because she's way down the court.

So, then the other 3 girls need to know an obscure rule that prevents Jennie from going back to being the thrower-in?

What a stupid rule, even at the NCAA level. No, I don't think I would call this in HS.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The interpretation appears to be dealing with what the thrower does when he/she releases the ball with the intent on giving it to someone else. I know I'm making an assumption here but I think the logic makes sense.
Still a bit of a stretch to get to that call though and the offense certainly isnt helping themselves doing this either so why would it be a violation?