View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NCAAW game tonight: USC at Cal.
During OT USC makes a basket with 46.3 secs remaining. A Cal player goes OOB with the ball, the 5-second count starts, she drops the ball on the OOB part of the floor and steps inbounds clearly intending for a teammate to execute the throw-in. No one comes and she returns OOB and grabs the ball.

The administering official correctly whistles a throw-in violation per NCAA AR 185.

We've discussed this action before, when the NCAA made this AR. I didn't like it then and still don't now. I looked at the actual rules cited in the AR and none of them prohibit this action. Basically, I think that whoever made the interpretation made a bogus decision.

So here is my question for the HS officials out there: would you call a violation for this in a HS game? I don't believe that there is a specific case play from NFHS stating that it is illegal as there is from the NCAA.
I think the interpretation is spot on. The rule - both in NFHS and NCAA - gives the thrower two options on a throw-in following a made/awarded field goal or free throw:

1. Throw the ball to a teammate who is out of bounds along the end line (7-5-7a/7-5-6b)
2. Throw the ball directly onto the court and have someone else be the first to touch it (7-6-2/7-6-3)

In your example and in NCAA AR 185, the thrower doesn't do either of those. They end up throwing it to themselves while out of bounds. That's not one of the options.