The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I saw if for the first time last night

I have seen a lot of b-ball in the last 15-20 years, but while watching a game last night, I got to see something different.

Boys JV - The game winner has been determined earlier in the quarter and the subs from both teams are playing their hearts out. Last shot of the game; Ball goes up, rolls around the rim, rolls onto the flange, horn goes off, and the ball comes to rest on the flange.

It was a crowd pleaser for sure and everyone leaves the gym with a smile.

It's the first time I have ever seen it and I was wondering how often it really happens - How many of you have actually seen it happen?
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Only time I've ever seen it happen was when my friends and I were shooting around the other day. Never seen it in an actual game.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Actually had it once on a free throw.....
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Last shot of the game; Ball goes up, rolls around the rim, rolls onto the flange, horn goes off, and the ball comes to rest on the flange.

Good chance for a "never will happen in my lifetime" debate. If this happened in a game with a tie score, how long would you wait after the buzzer before you would call the ball dead and go to overtime?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Good chance for a "never will happen in my lifetime" debate. If this happened in a game with a tie score, how long would you wait after the buzzer before you would call the ball dead and go to overtime?
Just as long as you'd wait if it happend with 3:48 reamining in the first quarter.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Just as long as you'd wait if it happend with 3:48 reamining in the first quarter.
Touche' The point was, the ball comes to rest, you have a brief pause while you convince yourself it has stopped completely, you blow it dead. Then, a fraction of a second later, vibrations caused by a passing truck cause the ball to fall in for an apparent game winner. I love this job.

Dumb question. Sorry, boss.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 02:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
How many of you have actually seen it happen?
Never seen it that I can recall.

Similarly, I did have a ball wedge between the flange and the backboard the other night. Right after my P blew the whistle, the ball dropped to the court. Same ole, same ole.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 02:55pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Touche' The point was, the ball comes to rest, you have a brief pause while you convince yourself it has stopped completely, you blow it dead. Then, a fraction of a second later, vibrations caused by a passing truck cause the ball to fall in for an apparent game winner. I love this job.

Dumb question. Sorry, boss.
"I just know there will be a big gust of wind to knock in that putt I left short."
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have actually seen this happen twice in ONE game! It was a boys middle school game. My partner and I could not believe it happened TWICE. Another interesting thing that happened in a game me and the same partner did was to have a shot go up from the end line corner, opposite side of the court from me as lead; I watched the players underneath for the rebounding action and everyone just stopped and all of them were looking up at the back board. After a second or two of this inactivity I looked up and the ball was rolling as slowly as it could on top of the backboard. It rolled the entire length of the back board and fell off the other side were we continued with the game. It was interesting how quite the entire gym was during the time the ball rolled the length of the back board.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Once In A Million Years ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaref61 View Post
The ball was rolling as slowly as it could on top of the backboard. It rolled the entire length of the back board and fell off the other side were we continued with the game. It was interesting how quite the entire gym was during the time the ball rolled the length of the back board.
What if the ball had rolled to a stop on the top of the backboard? You make the call. By the book. Pretend it's a written exam question.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 05:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
"I just know there will be a big gust of wind to knock in that putt I left short."
About 15 years ago, I'm in a referee charitable golf tournament. The group behind me had an up-and-comer with 3 veteran colleagues. It was quite windy that day.

On one hole, either 15 or 16, it's an uphill hole, where you can't see if the next group is done putting. And the wind was behind the golfers on this hole.

I was the last putter, and the up-and-comer drove a bullet shot up the hill. They thought he barely made it up the hill. And he did. Buuuut, I snuck down and "advanced" his ball to be within a 10 foot putt. He made the putt, and ended up with an eagle on the hole. He was all the talk at the steak dinner, and I kept my mouth shut. lol
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What if the ball had rolled to a stop on the top of the backboard? You make the call. By the book. Pretend it's a written exam question.
Options:

a) let the clock run out
b) call it dead and use the arrow (2-3)
c) allow someone (or multiple someones) to slap the backboard and play the ball as it bounces down (or OOB if it falls off the back)
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 07:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

4. First coach to stand and ask for a held ball or violation gets a T.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Saw it 4 years ago during a freethrow! Two years ago the ball rolled part way across the top of the back board and dropped off right through the basket. I've never seen it bounce off a player and go in.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I've often wondered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
About 15 years ago, I'm in a referee charitable golf tournament. The group behind me had an up-and-comer with 3 veteran colleagues. It was quite windy that day.

On one hole, either 15 or 16, it's an uphill hole, where you can't see if the next group is done putting. And the wind was behind the golfers on this hole.

I was the last putter, and the up-and-comer drove a bullet shot up the hill. They thought he barely made it up the hill. And he did. Buuuut, I snuck down and "advanced" his ball to be within a 10 foot putt. He made the putt, and ended up with an eagle on the hole. He was all the talk at the steak dinner, and I kept my mouth shut. lol
...if there are people who do things like this.