The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Foot Stomp

Had this unusual play last night. Two big man battling most of the 1st quarter; I had been trying to talk them out of fouls during this quarter. Most of the contact that occured seemed legal to me, although it was definitely physical.

As it became mre physical during the 2nd quarter, I realized it was Team A's player that was the knucklehead in our group. It became apparent that he was less of a basketball player than the other big man, he was just physical.

On this particular play, I was the L and I noticed that Team A5 ran down on offense and just stepped on Team B5's foot. I yelled at him to get his foot up. I had no doubt he tried to step on his foot. But I couldn't think of a way to penalize. Would have been a hard sell as an offensive foul. Would have been harder as an intentional. Couldn't go unsporting as it involved contact.

With the game being physical, I felt it probably warranted a whistle, because it could have very easily lead to a retaliation, but didn't blow one as I couldn't think of any actual rule he broke.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Did B5 stumble? I would call an Intentional Fouland use the "Blocking Foul" signal like if he was tripped. Would probably merit a quick conversation with HC of A.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Did B5 stumble? I would call an Intentional Fouland use the "Blocking Foul" signal like if he was tripped. Would probably merit a quick conversation with HC of A.
He didn't stumble. But A5 was probably 250 pounds, and I know B5 was close to pushing him off. If I wasn't vocal to A5 I think B5 would have retaliated.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't have a hard time selling this as a PC.

"Coach, he stepped on his foot on purpose, and I'm still wondering if I should have gone with an intentional foul."

A quick warning to the player might be in order if you only go PC, too.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Had this unusual play last night. Two big man battling most of the 1st quarter; I had been trying to talk them out of fouls during this quarter. Most of the contact that occured seemed legal to me, although it was definitely physical.

On this particular play, I was the L and I noticed that Team A5 ran down on offense and just stepped on Team B5's foot. I yelled at him to get his foot up. I had no doubt he tried to step on his foot. But I couldn't think of a way to penalize. Would have been a hard sell as an offensive foul. Would have been harder as an intentional. Couldn't go unsporting as it involved contact.

Any help would be appreciated.
When talking to players isnt appreciated, I blow the whistle.

If B5 retaliated what do you have now?

By the letter of the rule, you could have tossed him for the flagrant act. Revisit the definiton of fighting...
Definitely a HTBT, but from the sound of it I think an X is good here.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

"Coach, he stepped on his foot on purpose, and I'm still wondering if I should have gone with an intentional foul."

A quick warning to the player might be in order if you only go PC, too.
Would you have tried to talk him out of it? I felt that solved it, but I really felt it warranted a call more than a talk out of it. Especially since at this point I identified him as a knucklehead.

The other part that played into it was Team A had no chance without this kid because he was their only big man. Team B had 2 or 3 big men.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
When talking to players isnt appreciated, I blow the whistle.

If B5 retaliated what do you have now?
This is exactly why I felt more was needed. B5 was very aware I had just warned the kid, so he was smart enough to not do anything. But he is also a kid who is headed to a D1 school next year. A lesser player would have retaliated.

The more I think about it, I should have had at the very least a PC or an intentional. Deserved more than just being talked out of it.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you have tried to talk him out of it? I felt that solved it, but I really felt it warranted a call more than a talk out of it. Especially since at this point I identified him as a knucklehead.

The other part that played into it was Team A had no chance without this kid because he was their only big man. Team B had 2 or 3 big men.
Knuckleheads need more coaching. Where can he best get this coaching? On the bench right next to coach! Knuckleheads get whistles.

Sounds like Team A needs to attract more bigs to their program. Rosters arent our problem...

Last edited by tref; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 11:04am.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

If their only big man is a block head, you might be better off with a blow out.

If I had already been talking to him and he pulled this crap, I'm probably using my whistle.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If their only big man is a block head, you might be better off with a blow out.

If I had already been talking to him and he pulled this crap, I'm probably using my whistle.
+1

A blowout sucks, but I've heard that fights in your game are even worse. Too close to post-season assigning for any hiccups!
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
+1

A blowout sucks, but I've heard that fights in your game are even worse.
I can confirm this is true.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can confirm this is true.
I can also confirm that this is true. Short career and a lot has happened in it already.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

Yup.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is exactly why I felt more was needed. B5 was very aware I had just warned the kid, so he was smart enough to not do anything. But he is also a kid who is headed to a D1 school next year. A lesser player would have retaliated.

The more I think about it, I should have had at the very least a PC or an intentional. Deserved more than just being talked out of it.
If you had been trying to talk to them in the 1st quarter and had just warned him then I think you HAVE to have a whistle there.

It is a HTBT as to common or intentional but I think you can easily sell a TC foul here. And it would be a TC not PC correct?

Then just go with the TC mechanic and quickly explain to the coach exactly what he did.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
If you had been trying to talk to them in the 1st quarter and had just warned him then I think you HAVE to have a whistle there.

It is a HTBT as to common or intentional but I think you can easily sell a TC foul here. And it would be a TC not PC correct?

Then just go with the TC mechanic and quickly explain to the coach exactly what he did.
Good catch...yes TC...not PC