The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

This happened last week. Batter really crowding the plate. When pitcher releases the ball I notice that the batter has set up with her right foot just an inch or so away from the late. Part of the foot in the box, part way out. Pitch comes in out of the zone. I call ball but feel like I'm missing something. Catcher is saying nothing. Next pitch is hit with foot in the same position. Single. End of her at bat.

What about the batter that simply sets up with her foot partially outside the box? ASA rule 7-3-A says feet must be completely within the lines of the box( feet may touch lines but not be outside prior to pitch ). But I'm not clear as to what the effect is. Under 7-3-B effect says umpire will call a strike. But is that just for rule B or also A? What do you call in the situation I described and when do you call it? Before pitch is released? After catcher receives? What about when she hit the ball with foot in that position. Legal unless she starts in that position?

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I believe she should start with her foot inside the box. Once the pitch is on the way batters step every which way. As I understand it if any of the foot is on or over (heal in air but would come down and contact line) any part of the line of the batters box (ya right like there is ever a line) then she is ok. Now if any part of the foot is touching home plate when she contacts the ball (fair or foul) she is out. Same thing if the entire foot is outside of the box and contacting the ground when contact is made we have an out. If no contact is made we have a nothing in both cases.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
This happened last week. Batter really crowding the plate. When pitcher releases the ball I notice that the batter has set up with her right foot just an inch or so away from the late. Part of the foot in the box, part way out. Pitch comes in out of the zone. I call ball but feel like I'm missing something. Catcher is saying nothing. Next pitch is hit with foot in the same position. Single. End of her at bat.

What about the batter that simply sets up with her foot partially outside the box? ASA rule 7-3-A says feet must be completely within the lines of the box( feet may touch lines but not be outside prior to pitch ). But I'm not clear as to what the effect is. Under 7-3-B effect says umpire will call a strike. But is that just for rule B or also A? What do you call in the situation I described and when do you call it? Before pitch is released? After catcher receives? What about when she hit the ball with foot in that position. Legal unless she starts in that position?
Speaking ASA

Rule 7.3A states that the batter must have both feet either within the lines or on the lines prior to the start of the pitch, as you said.

The effect that you mentioned is for 7.3B. There is no effect for 7.3A because you are supposed to keep them in the box until the start of the pitch. Hold your hand up and tell the batter to get in the box.

You don't have to call anything once the pitch is released when the batter is in the box or on the lines without any part of the foot being outside. It is legal for the batter to have a foot on the line when they hit the ball, but, as Dave mentioned, if they touch the plate at all, they're out.

Just keep them in the box until the pitch and then watch for the leaving of the box on the hit. Easier said than done sometimes.

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Actually, the penalty apecified for 7.3.B can be applied to a 7.3.A violation if the batrer does not comply with the umpire's direction to get into the box within 10 seconds. And the habitual offender is subject to ejection under rule 10.1.J(3) after a suitable warning has been issued to the bench.

SamC
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Actually, the penalty apecified for 7.3.B can be applied to a 7.3.A violation if the batrer does not comply with the umpire's direction to get into the box within 10 seconds. And the habitual offender is subject to ejection under rule 10.1.J(3) after a suitable warning has been issued to the bench.
Yes, I guess that's true. Man, I read this and I thought I had a perfect response. I guess to quote "It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important." I've only had to deal with this once. I started counting like a basketball official does. It got them moving.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

The umpire should make sure the batter is within the batter's box before the pitch. If the batter does not move when asked to do so, then the EFFECT can be used.

However, it is the batter's responsibility to be in the box. If the umpire does NOT make sure the batter is positioned within the box at the start of the pitch, and the batter hits the ball while one foot is completely out of the box or in contact with the plate, then the batter is out.
Old Sun Aug 03, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
... snip ... I started counting like a basketball official does. ... snip ...
Please seriously consider the perception and precedent before doing that.