The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Flagrant Fouls

I'm working on a presentation that I'm to present to our local officials association about intentional/flagrant/technical fouls.

In my preparations, I have a questions about the penalty for flagrant fouls.

4.19.4 reads
"A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of violent or savage nature........If personal, it involves, but is not limited to violent contact such as: striking, kicking, kneeing. If technical, it involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at anytime which is extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct. Fighting is a flagrant act."

Further, 4.19.5 defines a technical foul as:
a. a foul by a non player
b. a non-contact foul by a player
c. an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead......

Does this mean that if a player strikes, kicks a knees an opponent in a fashion that is deemed to be flagrant while the ball is live, that this is a personal foul and is not a technical? Thus, this action would be penalized by disqualification and free-throws based on penalties for personal fouls. (Meaning if the contact was in a non-shooting situation and the offended team was not in the bonus, there would be no free throws?)

If that's the case, I learned something. I was under the impression that flagrant fouls were always technical and always involved two shots and a throw-in the the team that was offended.

Could anyone offer some clarity for me?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzeroo2002 View Post
Does this mean that if a player strikes, kicks a knees an opponent in a fashion that is deemed to be flagrant while the ball is live, that this is a personal foul and is not a technical? Thus, this action would be penalized by disqualification and free-throws based on penalties for personal fouls. (Meaning if the contact was in a non-shooting situation and the offended team was not in the bonus, there would be no free throws?)

If that's the case, I learned something. I was under the impression that flagrant fouls were always technical and always involved two shots and a throw-in the the team that was offended.

Could anyone offer some clarity for me?
Yes to your first question, but the inference you draw is incorrect. The penalty for a flagrant personal foul is 2 shots (or 3 for a shooting foul on a failed try) and the ball at the spot nearest the foul. (10-6 PENALTIES 3 & 4 and 8-5-3) It is in this way similar to an intentional foul, with the additional penalty of disqualification.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in Location

Thank you. That makes more sense to me.

One follow-up question...

After the two free throws for the personal flagrant foul (as opposed to a technical flagrant), is the throw-in administered spot nearest the foul (like an intentional foul) or at the division line (like a technical foul)?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

After the two free throws for the personal flagrant foul (as opposed to a technical flagrant), is the throw-in administered spot nearest the foul (like an intentional foul) or at the division line (like a technical foul)?
My original post answered your follow-up question. Call me prescient...
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Where is the throw-in for all (non-shooting) personal fouls? Where is it for all technical fouls?

Just because the foul in I or F doesn't change that -- the only thing that matters is P or T.