The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:25am
This IS My Social Life

"Obliquely"???

4-23-3 After the initial legal guarding position is obtained: (c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

In that context:

How do you define "obliquely"?

...and/or...

What synonym might you suggest for "obliquely"?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Diagonally away from the opponent, reaching a spot in the opponent's path first.

No good one-word synonym, other than perhaps "diagonally." The diagonal is defined by the direction between laterally and backwards.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

At an angle.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 12:02pm
This IS My Social Life

I'm Getting There, I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
4-23-3 After the initial legal guarding position is obtained: (c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
Therefore, is it correct to conclude that "backwards" is included in the rule above, not necessarily by the term "obliquely", but by the phrase "provided it is not toward the opponent..."?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Therefore, is it correct to conclude that "backwards" is included in the rule above, not necessarily by the term "obliquely", but by the phrase "provided it is not toward the opponent..."?
Yep.

In a ma thematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players....particularly when the plane itself it not static.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yep.

In a ma thematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players....particularly when the plane itself it not static.
Excellent description, Camron! Anything other than towards, and with consideration of a moving target.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is That A Protractor In Your Pocket, Or Are You Just Happy To See Me ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In a mathematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players.
So, we really have to carry a really, really, really, good protractor in our pocket?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 02:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Bust This Myth, Why Don'tcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So, we really have to carry a really, really, really, good protractor in our pocket?
BM: Tweet! "Block, 24 White!"
Coach: "Hey Stripes, he was moving backwards when he got run over!"
BM: "Sorry Coach. He was moving directly backwards 180 degrees. One degree one way or the other and he would've been moving obliquely. And the book says 'laterally or obliquely'. Block!"
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Where is Roy Rogers when you really need him?

The question is: Did he head the guy off at the pass, or didn't he?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:24pm
We don't rent pigs

And of course we all realize (don't we?) that when the defender is moving directly away from the ballhandler LGP is no longer a consideration.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:46pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And of course we all realize (don't we?) that when the defender is moving directly away from the ballhandler LGP is no longer a consideration.
10-4 good buddy.

But you can clarify why if you want to, just to keep the full package of the thread together, so we don't have any lurkers who get only half the picture.