The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Obliquely"??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87603-obliquely.html)

Freddy Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25am

"Obliquely"???

4-23-3 After the initial legal guarding position is obtained: (c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

In that context:

How do you define "obliquely"?

...and/or...

What synonym might you suggest for "obliquely"?

mbyron Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:36am

Diagonally away from the opponent, reaching a spot in the opponent's path first.

No good one-word synonym, other than perhaps "diagonally." The diagonal is defined by the direction between laterally and backwards.

de la hoops Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:39am

At an angle.

Freddy Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:02pm

I'm Getting There, I Think

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 820394)
4-23-3 After the initial legal guarding position is obtained: (c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

Therefore, is it correct to conclude that "backwards" is included in the rule above, not necessarily by the term "obliquely", but by the phrase "provided it is not toward the opponent..."?

Camron Rust Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 820405)
Therefore, is it correct to conclude that "backwards" is included in the rule above, not necessarily by the term "obliquely", but by the phrase "provided it is not toward the opponent..."?

Yep.

In a ma thematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players....particularly when the plane itself it not static.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 820409)
Yep.

In a ma thematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players....particularly when the plane itself it not static.

Excellent description, Camron! Anything other than towards, and with consideration of a moving target.

BillyMac Sun Feb 05, 2012 01:48pm

Is That A Protractor In Your Pocket, Or Are You Just Happy To See Me ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 820409)
In a mathematic sense, even backwards is probably obliquely since I really doubt a player could move away in a direction precisely 90.0000000 degrees relative to the plane separating the players.

So, we really have to carry a really, really, really, good protractor in our pocket?

Freddy Sun Feb 05, 2012 02:15pm

Bust This Myth, Why Don'tcha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 820419)
So, we really have to carry a really, really, really, good protractor in our pocket?

BM: Tweet! "Block, 24 White!"
Coach: "Hey Stripes, he was moving backwards when he got run over!"
BM: "Sorry Coach. He was moving directly backwards 180 degrees. One degree one way or the other and he would've been moving obliquely. And the book says 'laterally or obliquely'. Block!"
:D

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:13pm

Where is Roy Rogers when you really need him?

The question is: Did he head the guy off at the pass, or didn't he?

just another ref Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:24pm

And of course we all realize (don't we?) that when the defender is moving directly away from the ballhandler LGP is no longer a consideration.

Freddy Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 820450)
And of course we all realize (don't we?) that when the defender is moving directly away from the ballhandler LGP is no longer a consideration.

10-4 good buddy.

But you can clarify why if you want to, just to keep the full package of the thread together, so we don't have any lurkers who get only half the picture.