The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll agree the odds are better, and it's annoying to be on the court with a guy who seems to think he's doing penance by working with you.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:50pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Officials who call "reach-in" fouls and/or "over-the-back" fouls. (Usually, these are the same guy).
+1

I've never blocked working with anyone, but I've considered...

*The guy who overruled my backcourt violation after tip-off (A-2 caught the tip with both feet in the frontcount, then pivoted into backcourt) without discussing it with me.

*The guy who called a blocking foul on a defender with LGP and verticatily, then proceeded to explain to me, "he got him with his belly."

*The guy who wasn't working my game, but came into our locker room after my game and give me a hard time for calling a foul with one second left.

All three, same guy.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

*The guy who overruled my backcourt violation after tip-off (A-2 caught the tip with both feet in the frontcount, then pivoted into backcourt) without discussing it with me.
Nobody can overrule your backcourt violation, whether they discuss it with you or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Player: high dribble
Partner: *tweeeeeet* Carry!
Me:
I second that emotion ... or the guy who sees the player fumbles the ball and falls to the floor - traveling.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

I've never blocked working with anyone, but I've considered...

*The guy who called a blocking foul on a defender with LGP and verticatily, then proceeded to explain to me, "he got him with his belly."

*The guy who wasn't working my game, but came into our locker room after my game and give me a hard time for calling a foul with one second left.

All three, same guy.
Why just considered?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Nobody can overrule your backcourt violation, whether they discuss it with you or not.
Right. It was my second year, and I was too stunned to do anything about it. He just took the ball and administered the throw in.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wait til you meet Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy

There he is.

ps: what about Santa Ana?
Hmmmm, Santa Ana is a town in California?

If you mean Santa Anna, he attacked the Alamo if memory serves me
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
My first year, That Guy came up to me after I reported a foul to tell me it wasn't a foul..........one of the few times I have really shown emotion on the court.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Two for me...

1) Guys that refuse to engage in a meaningful pre-game

2) I will preface this one by saying I have experienced it more with lower level games. Twice this season while working freshman games, I have been in the midst of meeting with the captains 12 minutes prior to tip when my partner has come strolling into the gym. There is a reason I don't work many of these games, and it has nothing to do with the kids or the quality of the basketball!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Late

Last night my partner showed up two minutes before tip off, I had already fulfilled all of our administrative duties. He walks in with a pair of shoes under his arm...I get nervous but he assures me that he knows what he is doing because he has 30 experience in another state...he then tells me he doesn't have a jacket. Next he asks if I have a whistle for him. Unfortunately the game gets started and things went down hill. He is way to good of an official to get stuck with sub varsity games.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
Two for me...

2) I will preface this one by saying I have experienced it more with lower level games. Twice this season while working freshman games, I have been in the midst of meeting with the captains 12 minutes prior to tip when my partner has come strolling into the gym. There is a reason I don't work many of these games, and it has nothing to do with the kids or the quality of the basketball!
I'm inclined to give number 2 a bit of a pass. My first year I had about 30 sub varisty dates that started between 5 and 6. Due to my real job it was impossible for me to make anything earlier. It's a struggle to get new people into the game to begin with, and the time requirement is a big reason for that. For that reason I'll never judge someone who's unable to show up for a 5:30 freshman tip until 5:15 because they can't leave work until 5.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I'm inclined to give number 2 a bit of a pass. My first year I had about 30 sub varisty dates that started between 5 and 6. Due to my real job it was impossible for me to make anything earlier. It's a struggle to get new people into the game to begin with, and the time requirement is a big reason for that. For that reason I'll never judge someone who's unable to show up for a 5:30 freshman tip until 5:15 because they can't leave work until 5.
If you can't make it to the game in time, don't accept the assignment. The above is no excuse. It's selfish and screws your partner over.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Officials who jump all over someone because they think the other guy is wrong without making any attempt to help their fellow official understand or get better.
Had one of these in a JuCo game once. He did it at halftime. What particularly peeved me about it was that:
  1. He wasn't the crew chief
  2. When the crew chief asked what we had this guy insisted on going last, after the crew chief
  3. We had an observer sitting with us

There were 3 plays he was upset about but instead of discussing them he just started ranting. First play I would have readily admitted I was wrong about if he had asked me (a whistle out my primary and not a game-saver). 2nd was on a fast break where he was C and I was Lead and A1, coming from C's area to the basket, took a solid shot to the head while making the layup and I put a whistle on it; he was crazy for thinking I should have passed on it. Forget what the 3rd play was but it was something that happened in a dual coverage area.

Point being instead of talking and asking about the plays to ensure we all got on the same page he just went off like some prima donna worried his reputation was being ruined by us mere mortals. On top of that the crew chief was a mentor of mine and the guy who got me into officiating and we had 2 1/2 hour ride home together. So I was going to get plenty of in-depth feedback and constructive criticism on my performance. I didn't need this U1 character interjecting his selfish bullsh!t on me in the middle of the game.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 02:56pm.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJD View Post
Last night my partner showed up two minutes before tip off, I had already fulfilled all of our administrative duties. He walks in with a pair of shoes under his arm...I get nervous but he assures me that he knows what he is doing because he has 30 experience in another state...he then tells me he doesn't have a jacket. Next he asks if I have a whistle for him. Unfortunately the game gets started and things went down hill. He is way to good of an official to get stuck with sub varsity games.
Is this a varsity contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
This falls under handling our off-court business & a simple email/phone call/text is appropriate.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
Two for me...

1. Agreed.
2. I have to be honest. I am always at a middle school game at least 30 minutes prior to game time (45 minutes for high school games, 60 for varsity). That said, I'm not doing captains meetings at 12 minutes if my partner isn't there yet. The least important part of the game can wait a few minutes. I'd rather walk out with my partner with 7:00 on the clock than alone at 15:00.