The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
On a held ball of this type (thrower sticks ball through plane) during an AP throw-in the next throw-in is an AP throw-in for the team which had the arrow. Team B had the arrow, but Team A was incorrectly given the throw-in. Therefore it is an AP throw-in for Team B.
Ok, I read Snagwells original post as if the arrow was incorrectly pointing towards A (and they were incorrectly given the ball) when it should have been pointing toward B.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Ok, I read Snagwells original post as if the arrow was incorrectly pointing towards A (and they were incorrectly given the ball) when it should have been pointing toward B.
The point is A was given an AP throw in by mistake.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 05:01pm.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 05:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The point is A was given an AP throw in by mistake.
Yep, whether it's b/c the official screwed up or the table screwed up is inconsequential to the scenario.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 05:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
This is a good point, as it never was A's throw-in in the first place. Perhaps there's no DOG here.

Okay, so this opens up a can of worms. If you're B, and A has the throw-in incorrectly, should you just step over the line and cause a whistle, thereby getting the ball back when the mistake is realized (and no DOG)?
Quote:
I'm giving B both.
I'm going to disagree here by applying the same logic of 2-10-4: ...and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls, shall be canceled.

So I would not give B a DOG warning nor would I charge A2 the foul in the other scenario you gave.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:09pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
I'm going to disagree here by applying the same logic of 2-10-4: ...and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls, shall be canceled.

So I would not give B a DOG warning nor would I charge A2 the foul in the other scenario you gave.
But would you give them the technical if they already had the DOG warning?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
But would you give them the technical if they already had the DOG warning?
No, b/c I'm ignoring the activity, in this case breaking the plane. I know it's a grey area but that's how I would go.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:05am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I understand the logic behind not charging the DOG. You can't truly break the plane when it was your throw-in to begin with.

But, I don't see how that extends to fouls. A foul is a foul. Charge it, and give the rightful team the ball, while you still have the chance.

Last edited by bainsey; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 10:28am.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I understand the logic behind not charging the DOG. You can't truly break the plan when it was your throw-in to begin with.

But, I don't see how that extends to fouls. A foul is a foul. Charge it, and give the rightful team the ball, while you still have the chance.
Like I said, I'm using the same logic found in 2-10-4 for a CE. Am I right for doing so? Maybe, maybe not. But it does show there is precedent for ignoring certain activity when correcting an officiating mistake.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Like I said, I'm using the same logic found in 2-10-4 for a CE. Am I right for doing so? Maybe, maybe not. But it does show there is precedent for ignoring certain activity when correcting an officiating mistake.
You're right, it's a gray area. Not sure I could go that far, but I see the logic behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if, some day, they decide that these situations are too late to fix.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:54am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Like I said, I'm using the same logic found in 2-10-4 for a CE.
The rules are quite clear about what's a correctable error and what isn't. Throw-in errors aren't, nor are the activity that go with them. As much as we would like to extend this logic to other areas of the rules, we're simply not allowed to do so.

Here's a thought. Would you penalize a technical foul while the wrong team has the ball at their disposal on a throw-in? I'm confident all of us would. (It would also clear up the who-gets-the-ball-now discussion, too.)
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Here's a thought. Would you penalize a technical foul while the wrong team has the ball at their disposal on a throw-in? I'm confident all of us would. (It would also clear up the who-gets-the-ball-now discussion, too.)
Which is why I didn't include a technical foul in the scenarios. BNR's reference specifically excludes technical fouls from what can be ignored.

Personally, I'm not ignoring anything (2-10-5 backs me up just as much as 2-10-4 backs up BNR), because I think 2-10-4 is meant solely for the situations mentioned. But as has been said before, the rules aren't written to cover every possible scenario; sometimes you just have to officiate.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The rules are quite clear about what's a correctable error and what isn't. Throw-in errors aren't, nor are the activity that go with them. As much as we would like to extend this logic to other areas of the rules, we're simply not allowed to do so.

I would call any T not related to the defense breaking the plane or touching the ball.

I didn't say this was a correctable error, I just said I would use some of the same logic when adjudicating the play. Also, I never said my opinion was backed by a rule. But the rule or case book does not directly address these variables.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Which is why I didn't include a technical foul in the scenarios. BNR's reference specifically excludes technical fouls from what can be ignored.

Personally, I'm not ignoring anything (2-10-5 backs me up just as much as 2-10-4 backs up BNR), because I think 2-10-4 is meant solely for the situations mentioned. But as has been said before, the rules aren't written to cover every possible scenario; sometimes you just have to officiate.
Which is why sometimes it does matter who the R is.

The reason I go with the 2-10-4 logic is b/c it discusses activity during the incorrect act. If we recognize the error in time to correct it then basically we've had no play. So I'm not penalizing either team for any basketball activity that falls below the line of unsporting, flagrant, or intentional.