The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Arizona v. California

After my game last night I saw that this game was on and I sat down and watched.

There's a weird situation about 5 minutes left in the game. Jorge Gutierrez from California is saving the ball and flies OOB and lands on an Arizona assistant. The assistant coach "appears" to kick him, but from the angle I couldn't determine if he actually kicked him or if anything really happened.

Jorge Gutierrez gets up and immediately points in the coaches face and they exchange words. There's a melee of sorts and it's all broken up.

The referee's went to the monitor for something, but not sure what. Can anything be reviewed here? Should there have been anything on the coach?

Sorry I don't have video of it.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
After my game last night I saw that this game was on and I sat down and watched.

There's a weird situation about 5 minutes left in the game. Jorge Gutierrez from California is saving the ball and flies OOB and lands on an Arizona assistant. The assistant coach "appears" to kick him, but from the angle I couldn't determine if he actually kicked him or if anything really happened.

Jorge Gutierrez gets up and immediately points in the coaches face and they exchange words. There's a melee of sorts and it's all broken up.

The referee's went to the monitor for something, but not sure what. Can anything be reviewed here? Should there have been anything on the coach?

Sorry I don't have video of it.
Video can be used to review if there was a flagrant 2 contact technical foul.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

officials can use the courtside monitor in a certain number of specific situations...this one would have been to determine if a flagrant foul was committed.

saw a replay video of it and it was really much ado about nothing.....
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.

Wasn't sure if something could be reviewed to see if the assistant coach did anything. I didn't think so.

So they were seeing if the player should receive a flagrant 2.

Got it.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Must be nice to have that option! Funny how the lower the level is, the lower the checks are & the less tools we have. We gotta get plays/situations right in real time while the big dogs can go to replay & fix stuff.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Thanks guys.

Wasn't sure if something could be reviewed to see if the assistant coach did anything. I didn't think so.

So they were seeing if the player should receive a flagrant 2.

Got it.
didn't say that you could only review the play to determine if a PLAYER committed a flagrant foul....I would be looking at BOTH the PLAYER and COACHES in that video review.

a kick from a player or coach on the bench would be treated the same - in this case a Flagrant 2 (which means ejection, 2 FT's for the offended team, & possession).

imho, it would have to be pretty obvious/clear that a Flagrant 2 happened...i would not "split hairs" here and penalize contact that was "maybe yes...maybe no".
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
didn't say that you could only review the play to determine if a PLAYER committed a flagrant foul....I would be looking at BOTH the PLAYER and COACHES in that video review.

a kick from a player or coach on the bench would be treated the same - in this case a Flagrant 2 (which means ejection, 2 FT's for the offended team, & possession).

imho, it would have to be pretty obvious/clear that a Flagrant 2 happened...i would not "split hairs" here and penalize contact that was "maybe yes...maybe no".
I agree. When I saw it live, the only thing I was certain of was that I had no real idea what happened. The angle was bad.

Good clarification.