Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Been There...Done That...Survived

Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
I've never done that in a game. Have you? How did the cheer coach take it?
I did that once, much to the protest of the cheer coach who complained to her AD who told her to comply due to what was a perceived safety factor on my part as R. She got over it and they did just fine from a sideline location.
I shoulda done it at another location last year in the first round of the post-season tourney but didn't and was sorry for it. As new lead I turned an ankle on a cheerleaders foot and had to bear the pain of it the rest of the game and remainder of the first round of the tournament.
I'll do it again if necessary.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I've never done that in a game. Have you?

How did the cheer coach take it?
Middle school games were the only time I've had to do it. I've never had a problem with a cheer coach when asking her if she could move her cheerleaders to a more appropriate location.

Safety is our number one concern. We need to have room to work that is unhindered by small objects shaped as children.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Did you consider having the cheerleaders moved off of the endline?
Quote:
I've never done that in a game. Have you?

How did the cheer coach take it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Safety issue, get the cheerleaders moved if they won't stay out of your way. I'm a freight train compared to cheerleaders, and I remind them that if there's a collision, I'm not going to be the one to get hurt.
I've done it and will do it again. If they're in my way, they move. They're just 1 step above the other spectators. They're not necessary to the game and shouldn't be in a position to potentially interfere with or cause injury those that are. The cheer coach will not like it, but they don't have a say.

As Snaq said, you're protecting them as much as yourself. Most of us are 2x the size of some of them. If they are close to the endline but not really "too close", I make a few passes really close early in the game to get their attention and they usually stay out of the way after nearly getting run over (they were not really about to be run over...they don't know I was just firing a warning shot).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
. . . you're protecting them as much as yourself. Most of us are 2x the side of some of them.
. . . you're protecting yourself as much as them. Most of them are 2x the side of some of us.

fify
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've done it and will do it again. If they're in my way, they move. They're just 1 step above the other spectators. They're not necessary to the game and shouldn't be in a position to potentially interfere with or cause injury those that are. They cheer coach will not like it, but they don't have a say.

As Snaq said, you're protecting them as much as yourself. Most of us are 2x the side of some of them. If they are close to the endline but not really "too close", I make a few passes really close early in the game to get there attention and they usually stay out of the way after nearly getting run over (not really but they don't know I was just firing a warning shot).
Agree. It's a safety issue. Four or five years ago I took one out while going full speed down the sideline while looking back over my shoulder covering a fast break....she picked the wrong time to lean into the court to get a better look....we hit shoulder to shoulder and she went flying. Ever since I have absolutely no qualms about having them moved if they're getting in the way.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 01:01pm.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I took one out while going full speed down the sideline while looking back over my shoulder covering a fast break.
That'll teach her.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)