Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd stand on the inside. The thrower is likely to obscure any view you might have of a play that goes to the inside. Get the clearest angle/line to see the likely play.
I learned from a veteran colleague of Camron's this method at a state tournament and now apply it myself. It clears you from the inbounder blocking your view of a quick pass to the post.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
There are 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Team A has a throw-in on their end-line right where the 3-point line intersects the end-line. Team A has not been shooting 3's all game. This game is a JV boys with 2 officials.
Would you stand on the outside of the player? Thus standing beyond the sideline. This puts you about 20 feet away from the post players. Or would you put yourself between the basket and the player for the Throw-in?
I know the book says 'box-in the players'.
IMO - I always try to keep all 10 players and my 2 partners (1 in this case) in my field of vision. If you stand on the inside, you are unable to help on any of the other 8 players other than the thrower-in and the immediate defender. In a 2 man game, with the trail official covering 8 players, this is a recipe for disaster. Second.... I have no idea how you can believeably cover your sideline on the chance there is an OOB immediately on the throw-in. If you stand on the outside, you are far from the basket but you have a good look and can help the crew.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Aren't you going to end up with L only being able to see the thrower-in and T trying to cover the other 9?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
IMO - I always try to keep all 10 players and my 2 partners (1 in this case) in my field of vision. If you stand on the inside, you are unable to help on any of the other 8 players other than the thrower-in and the immediate defender.
I fail to see why anyone thinks they need to watch the thrower. All he/she can do that you need to know about is step inbounds or leave the spot....both things that rarely happen that you can sense and then look for to confirm when they do happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
In a 2 man game, with the trail official covering 8 players, this is a recipe for disaster. Second.... I have no idea how you can believeably cover your sideline on the chance there is an OOB immediately on the throw-in. If you stand on the outside, you are far from the basket but you have a good look and can help the crew.
Disagree. I'm no farther from the sideline than most plays when the ball is already inbounds. Why would the fact that it is a throw in make it harder for me to take 2-3 steps to get out to the sideline. Remember, we're talking a throwin at the 3-point line or wider, not close to the paint. I'd rather be in a position a few steps from the ideal sideline coverage position than a lot of steps from the ideal post coverage position.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I fail to see why anyone thinks they need to watch the thrower. All he/she can do that you need to know about is step inbounds or leave the spot....both things that rarely happen that you can sense and then look for to confirm when they do happen.
We also need to know when the pass in released. I'm not talking about staring at the thrower, but if you can't see him, you aren't doing the job properly. And I don't buy that you're going to pick up on the player stepping on the line if you're not watching the thrower.

Quote:
Disagree. I'm no farther from the sideline than most plays when the ball is already inbounds. Why would the fact that it is a throw in make it harder for me to take 2-3 steps to get out to the sideline. Remember, we're talking a throwin at the 3-point line or wider, not close to the paint. I'd rather be in a position a few steps from the ideal sideline coverage position than a lot of steps from the ideal post coverage position.
It's harder to get the the sideline because there is a player between you and where you need to be. I don't know about you, but I haven't figure out how to successfully move through a player.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We also need to know when the pass in released. I'm not talking about staring at the thrower, but if you can't see him, you aren't doing the job properly. And I don't buy that you're going to pick up on the player stepping on the line if you're not watching the thrower.
It is pretty easy to tell when they release the ball without looking at it...it goes flying through the air. There is nothing that requires precise info on the timing of the release.

Most throwers are not that close to the line, you don't have anything to watch until they get near the line.

Quote:
It's harder to get the the sideline because there is a player between you and where you need to be. I don't know about you, but I haven't figure out how to successfully move through a player.
Behind and to the side. I'm not standing directly to their side.

In 2-man, you have to make compromises to get the best coverage....when the ball is that wide (outside the 3-point line) the best spot for the lead is just inside the 3-point line. You can see most possible sideline OOB situations from there just fine...even if you can't get all the way to the line....and you can get out there just fine when you need to...it is only 2-3 steps. It is really no different than having a ball in the post (you're not going to be in the corner to cover that) that gets kicked out to a player spotting up in the corner. You've got to hustle to cover both, but in 2-man, that is what you have to do.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 01:13pm.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is pretty easy to tell when they release the ball without looking at it...it goes flying through the air. There is nothing that requires precise info on the timing of the release.
5 seconds to release the throw-in?

Quote:
Most throwers are not that close to the line, you don't have anything to watch until they get near the line.
And how exactly am I supposed to know their close when I'm not watching them?

Quote:
Behind and to the side. I'm not standing to their side.

In 2-man, you have to make compromises to get the best coverage....when the ball is that wide (outside the 3-point line) the best spot for the lead is just inside the 3-point line. You can see most likely OOB situations from there just fine...even if you can't get all the way to the line....and you can get out there just fine when you need to...it is only 2-3 steps. It is really no different than having a ball in the post (you're not going to be in the corner to cover that) that gets kicked out to a player spotting up in the corner. You've got to hustle to cover both, but in 2-man, that is what you have to do.
I agree with this, but I think it dictates staying outside of the thrower and being ready to hustle back in.

I get the general impression that most of you are working gyms with much more space behind the endlines than I work. I usually can't get more than half a step further back than the thrower and I never have a thrower more than a half-step from the boundary line.