The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Where can fans stand? (KY HS)

I attended a close Kentucky High School basketball game this week, and witnessed something I thought was quite odd. It was a hard fought game throughout, two top 15 teams, and when the game was in its last 5 minutes, during a timeout, a group of about 12 home-team HS students, painted and dressed in their best fan garb, went down to stand behind the opponents goal, as they do in almost all close games. The school's AD walked down and stood behind them, as he always does, to make sure none of them get out of hand. All fans were well behind the painted "buffer zone, I guess around 6 ft or so beyond the OOB line.

All of a sudden as the timeout ended and one particular referee (3-man crew) noticed the fan's, he instructed them that they couldn't stand there. The AD immediately engaged in a rather heated conversation with the referree, I assume insisting that the fans had the right to stand there as long as they caused no trouble. After about 90 seconds, during which both teams returned to their bench to wait it out, the referree relented somewhat, at least having them move a few feet closer to the corner.

So, what rule was the referree citing, and why hadn't other previous referees taken the same action?

Ironically, the AD is a bit of a cult hero at the school now since he stuck up for his kids.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 02:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy
So, what rule was the referree citing, and why hadn't other previous referees taken the same action?
The official probably did not cite any rule. He could have used 2-2 [official's jurisdiction] if he felt strongly enough about the "situation".
...But the official obviously decided things weren't as bad as they seemed.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

I regularly move fans away from the baseline if there are no bleacher there. I do it mostly for my own safety. I don't like anybody in between the 3-pt lines, including cheerleaders.

Never had anyone challenge me on it. But if that's what game management allows, I wouldn't challenge them on it either.

I work at a couple of schools where they won't even allow fans to cross the gym along the baseline. School security or local police make them walk out the doors and through the hallway to get to the other side of the court.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I also do not like fans standing behind the baseline. They pay for a seat in the bleachers, so that is where I let them be. If there is seating behind me and they have paid for it. I let it go. I work the baseline. Last week, I am lead and was backing up to get a better angle. Before I knew it I was on the ground and two fans were under neath me. They both were very angry because I needed to watch were I was going. A parent came out of the stands and started cussing at me for knocking down her daughter. The game is going on while this is happening. As soon as the team scored I blew my whistle. Got up and proceeded to ask the fans to move away. The parent was getting into my face when the AD came over and apologized for them being in my way. He told the parent and the two fans that it was an accident, but it should not have happened if they were in the stands like they were suppose to be.

Last edited by iref4him; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 03:39pm.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
The official probably did not cite any rule. He could have used 2-2 [official's jurisdiction] if he felt strongly enough about the "situation".
...But the official obviously decided things weren't as bad as they seemed.
I guess. But, the official could later be seen having a rather intense discussion with one of the other officials, during a timeout, looking towards those same fans. The other official didn't even appear to respond to him. Very strange.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:54pm

Long as they're not on the floor. I don't see where we could have any jurisdiction. I have been in some gyms where fans are pretty close to the court, in fact, it gets pretty tight in some places. I'm wondering if the ref didn't think it was a disadvantage to the visiting team because no one had set or stood there previously. Now, near the end of the game you got rowdy fans in a place where they where not before and in front of where the visiting team is shooting F/T's. That tactic might not go over too good late in the game, in the spirit of fair play of course. If they had been there the whole game thru, no problem, no new conditions to have to deal with.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I have been in some gyms where fans are pretty close to the court, in fact, it gets pretty tight in some places.
Yeah, those YMCA gyms get pretty crowded when they run two games at a time.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yeah, those YMCA gyms get pretty crowded when they run two games at a time.

I don't care who you are........that right there is funny or else it just hit me that way!

Mr. Motivation
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy
RULE 1 COURT AND EQUIPMENT
SECTION 2 SIDELINES, END LINES
ART. 1 . . . The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram. There shall be at least 3 feet (and preferably 10 feet) of unobstructed space outside boundaries. The sidelines and end lines shall be a minimum of 2 inches in width. If it is desirable to use contrasting colored-floor areas instead of the lines, see the “Supplement to Court Diagram. ”
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
RULE 1 COURT AND EQUIPMENT
SECTION 2 SIDELINES, END LINES
ART. 1 . . . The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram. There shall be at least 3 feet (and preferably 10 feet) of unobstructed space outside boundaries. The sidelines and end lines shall be a minimum of 2 inches in width. If it is desirable to use contrasting colored-floor areas instead of the lines, see the “Supplement to Court Diagram. ”
Also....

Rule 2-18-1NOTE: "When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly fashion."

Case Book Play 2.8.1COMMENT: "Responsibility for the behavior of spectators is the responsibility of home or game management.The rule book stipulates that insofar as the management can reasonably be expected to control the spectators, it is its responsibility to do so. Home management has the responsibility of providing a site where the game can proceed in as sporting manner. If the conduct of spectators prohibits the orderly continuance of the game, the officials should have a representative of game management take whatever action is necessary."

It's always a judgement call by the R. If he thinks that the fans are interfering with the game, he can clear 'em out of there. And....I also ain't gonna second-guess any official without seeing what actually happened or listening to his side of the story.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rule 2-18-1NOTE:
Edit needed.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I had a scenerio the other week during a game late in the first half. Visiting team gets fouled on the shot and we are going to do two free throws. As we are setting up, the home team cheerleaders get behind the hoop and spread out as if they were ready to start cheering. I don't know if they were or weren't, but it just looked bad that they moved behind the basket when the opponent was going to attempt his two free throws........

Yes, I made them move. I am mean.

Mr. Motivation