The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-In Violation or Not?

I had a buddy of mine ask me this question that brought up a discussion at a meeting today.

Team A has the ball for backcourt endline throw-in. All of A and B is in the backcourt. As the ball is handed to A1, A2 streaks for front court. A1 throws an overhand pass to A2. The ball veers off course and is heading out of bounds. A2, standing out of bounds, catches the ball. Obviously a violation, but where is the throw-in at?

I say it is where A2 touched the ball because of 9-2-2.

The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.

I think this is the rule he would have had to violate to make it a throw-in violation. Since he didn't, it's not a throw-in violation, and just a OOB violation. Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:06pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Blue View Post
I had a buddy of mine ask me this question that brought up a discussion at a meeting today.

Team A has the ball for backcourt endline throw-in. All of A and B is in the backcourt. As the ball is handed to A1, A2 streaks for front court. A1 throws an overhand pass to A2. The ball veers off course and is heading out of bounds. A2, standing out of bounds, catches the ball. Obviously a violation, but where is the throw-in at?

The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.

I think this is the rule he would have had to violate to make it a throw-in violation. Since he didn't, it's not a throw-in violation, and just a OOB violation. Thoughts?
You are correct. A2 caused the ball to be OOB, therefore the throwin should be at that spot. Had a very similar play earlier this year.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Need Help with a call

I was doing a game today and during a free throw attempt (meaning the ball was given to the player at the line) the offensive team coach called time. What would you call? Is the timeout allowed or is it not once the ball is given to the player.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:27pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphdjj View Post
I was doing a game today and during a free throw attempt (meaning the ball was given to the player at the line) the offensive team coach called time. What would you call? Is the timeout allowed or is it not once the ball is given to the player.
Why wouldn't it be?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphdjj View Post
What specifically wouldn't allow a timeout to be called here?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:48pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
You are correct. (and 7-6-2)
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Several years ago, this was listed as a throw in violation, then they quietly changed it back.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:49pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Several years ago, this was listed as a throw in violation, then they quietly changed it back.
Noticed that in the related thread link below. I think I remember that being one of first things I read a discussion about on the forum.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Back In the Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Era ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't think that the word, "several", accurately describes the age of this old rule. Where's my Geologic Time Scale when I need it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)