The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Official Ruling on stopping play for injury?

I could read this stuff all day!!!

Can anyone site the rule or case for stopping play for an injured player? I'm not a ref (tried it and too much of a fan to do it. Got too caught up watching the game), but that did leave me with a sense of appreciation for the job that most parents don't have!

What are the guidelines for stopping play due to injury. I've always thought it was as simple as injured players team has to have possession but I'm sure there are other parameters to it as well? Or is it that simple?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rule 5-8-2 Note.

As a general rule you stop play when the team that is in control of the ball has either regained control of the ball or the play has stopped all together like a fast break (usually) or the opportunity to score has ended. If a player is in danger or more seriously hurt, then the officials can stop play immediately. This is a judgment call all the way and some disagree when play should be let go or stop immediately.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Rule 5-8-2 Note.

As a general rule you stop play when the team that is in control of the ball has either regained control of the ball or the play has stopped all together like a fast break (usually) or the opportunity to score has ended. If a player is in danger or more seriously hurt, then the officials can stop play immediately. This is a judgment call all the way and some disagree when play should be let go or stop immediately.

Peace
Thanks! I found it after posting while doing a little searching. My apologies for not doing that first.

We had a near fiasco due to stoppage of play immediately and an ensuing 4 on 1 break because of an injured player. He was against the wall of his own basket so not in immediate danger but if I understand it right, play can be stopped if the referee deemed it serious enough? Any guidelines for faking an injury? My guess is he would have to be very quick witted to pull this off but I'm thinking this is exactly what happened. Jumped back up and never left the game, our ball OOB half court.

This is all the info I need to set a few parents straight. Bad judgement maybe, but not a bad call?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo2526 View Post
Thanks! I found it after posting while doing a little searching. My apologies for not doing that first.

We had a near fiasco due to stoppage of play immediately and an ensuing 4 on 1 break because of an injured player. He was against the wall of his own basket so not in immediate danger but if I understand it right, play can be stopped if the referee deemed it serious enough? Any guidelines for faking an injury? My guess is he would have to be very quick witted to pull this off but I'm thinking this is exactly what happened. Jumped back up and never left the game, our ball OOB half court.

This is all the info I need to set a few parents straight. Bad judgement maybe, but not a bad call?
Unless blood is gushing form his/her body or something else entirely obvious, not much is going to happen in the 3-5 seconds it takes for the fast break to occur. I will not stop the game for an injury immediately if the other team has a clear scoring opportunity unless the injured player is directly in harms way.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Any guidelines for faking an injury? My guess is he would have to be very quick witted to pull this off but I'm thinking this is exactly what happened. Jumped back up and never left the game, our ball OOB half court.
This is the reason the rule is written the way it is so a team cannot just fake an injury and stop play immediately. And since often we cannot determine how much in danger a player is, it gives us some language to give us some judgment.

Quote:
Glad we could help.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

another thing to consider; the lower the level, the more apt the officials will be to err on the side of caution.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Unless blood is gushing form his/her body or something else entirely obvious, not much is going to happen in the 3-5 seconds it takes for the fast break to occur. I will not stop the game for an injury immediately if the other team has a clear scoring opportunity unless the injured player is directly in harms way.
+1. And, especially at lower levels, let the coach / trainer start out to the player even if play is going on at the other end.

Sometimes (often?) just having the official acknowledge that s/he saw the inured player (a point, a long look, staying back on the play) is enough to calm the waters.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

An esteemed former member posted a page listing when and how to stop the game for emergencies. I can't find it any longer, but I used to link to it when this question came up.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1. And, especially at lower levels, let the coach / trainer start out to the player even if play is going on at the other end.

Sometimes (often?) just having the official acknowledge that s/he saw the inured player (a point, a long look, staying back on the play) is enough to calm the waters.
Thanks for all the replies. This was in a Boy's Varsity High school game, 4th quarter, score tied late, so you can imagine the outrage as I'm sure most of you have had to deal with from all of us dad's who obviously know the rules better than yourselves....

This is a great place to find a lot of answers to situations that come up from time to time. I will be back I'm sure, please bear with me! Thanks again for the help.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 03:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
An esteemed former member posted a page listing when and how to stop the game for emergencies. I can't find it any longer, but I used to link to it when this question came up.
I did a quick search on "player injuries" and came up with this. Is this what you were thinking of?

Player Injury
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 04:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Sound advice there. If the player is down, the closest ref staying with the injured player, if possible, is good advice. Then, kill the play as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I did a quick search on "player injuries" and came up with this. Is this what you were thinking of?

Player Injury
Yes, specifically Chuck's post: Player Injury

Thanks!