The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-In Violation or Not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86179-throw-violation-not.html)

KS_Blue Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:00pm

Throw-In Violation or Not?

I had a buddy of mine ask me this question that brought up a discussion at a meeting today.

Team A has the ball for backcourt endline throw-in. All of A and B is in the backcourt. As the ball is handed to A1, A2 streaks for front court. A1 throws an overhand pass to A2. The ball veers off course and is heading out of bounds. A2, standing out of bounds, catches the ball. Obviously a violation, but where is the throw-in at?

I say it is where A2 touched the ball because of 9-2-2.

The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.

I think this is the rule he would have had to violate to make it a throw-in violation. Since he didn't, it's not a throw-in violation, and just a OOB violation. Thoughts?

stiffler3492 Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KS_Blue (Post 814635)
I had a buddy of mine ask me this question that brought up a discussion at a meeting today.

Team A has the ball for backcourt endline throw-in. All of A and B is in the backcourt. As the ball is handed to A1, A2 streaks for front court. A1 throws an overhand pass to A2. The ball veers off course and is heading out of bounds. A2, standing out of bounds, catches the ball. Obviously a violation, but where is the throw-in at?

The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.

I think this is the rule he would have had to violate to make it a throw-in violation. Since he didn't, it's not a throw-in violation, and just a OOB violation. Thoughts?

You are correct. A2 caused the ball to be OOB, therefore the throwin should be at that spot. Had a very similar play earlier this year.

Dolphdjj Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:12pm

Need Help with a call

I was doing a game today and during a free throw attempt (meaning the ball was given to the player at the line) the offensive team coach called time. What would you call? Is the timeout allowed or is it not once the ball is given to the player.

stiffler3492 Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolphdjj (Post 814641)
I was doing a game today and during a free throw attempt (meaning the ball was given to the player at the line) the offensive team coach called time. What would you call? Is the timeout allowed or is it not once the ball is given to the player.

Why wouldn't it be?

APG Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolphdjj (Post 814641)

What specifically wouldn't allow a timeout to be called here?

HawkeyeCubP Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:48pm

Quote:

You are correct. (and 7-6-2)

Nevadaref Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:48pm

Quote:

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

Adam Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:25pm

Several years ago, this was listed as a throw in violation, then they quietly changed it back.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 814658)
Several years ago, this was listed as a throw in violation, then they quietly changed it back.

Noticed that in the related thread link below. I think I remember that being one of first things I read a discussion about on the forum.

BillyMac Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:32am

Back In the Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Era ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 814658)

I don't think that the word, "several", accurately describes the age of this old rule. Where's my Geologic Time Scale when I need it?