Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Sublevel officials fall primarily into two categories:
1) those "on their way up and eager", and
2) those "on their way down and out."
Sublevel officials fall primarily into THREE categories:
1) those "on their way up and eager", and
2) those "on their way down and out," and
3) those, though rare and appreciated to the utmost when discovered, at that level by choice, maintaining a healthy appreciation for mechanics, positioning, rules knowledge, and judgement, serving as true assets to the associations, assignors, and schools with which they are involved.

The subsequent responses prompted the addition of category 3). I just wish our area would be blessed with a few more of them!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

Are you talking about officials that work subvarsity games or those that only work subvarsity games?

I'm assuming the latter but figured I'd clarify.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

I am 59 and really enjoy just reffing the games. The difference in varsity pay and j/v is $12.50 in my area. If I do a j/v game I am usually done and home no later than 8 pm. When I get the chance to do a 3 man crew on varsity,I usually get home between 10-30 to 11-00 pm. $12.50 is not worth the difference in time. Also if I get to do a "B" team double header that starts at 4 pm, that is even better. More money less travel and home early. Most of the fans have no clue wether you are a NCCA D 1 guy or local that works for the Humane Society. All they see is a striped shirt. As long as you get the calls right,the fans could care less.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Long string here, this may have been said, but I think this is a touchy subject. Assuming you are a better official because you work the 7:00 game vs. the 5:30 game is poor judgement.

I work plenty of Varsity and sub-Varsity games - I appreciate feedback no matter which game I work. However, feedback should only be offered when asked for. I have a real problem when the Varsity crew starts offering unsolicited advice and then on the court and don't do some of the same things we just got done talking about.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:15am
This IS My Social Life

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Are you talking about officials that work subvarsity games or those that only work subvarsity games? I'm assuming the latter but figured I'd clarify.
Correct. I was referring to referees in reference to subvarsity games only. The original response to the OP came when I was fresh off watching the JV game prior to our V contest, somewhat frustrated over the situation before me that there was a category 1 matched with a category 2, as, due to numbers, commonly occurs in this area. As I serve in a role as a mentor to new officials, prepping them for their first contests, and following them up through the ranks, I find that I so often have to explain to the category 1 officials that they need to know how to do a good job on those occasions when they're matched with a category 2 official. The number of category 3 officials is minimal, and it sure would be good to have some assisting with the mentoring. When 1's are paired with 1's, it's a great thing. When 1's are matched with 2's, the 1's can get dispirited and so it is necessary to prepare them for this reality. I sure appreciate the responses to this thread which alerted me to the fact that I should really appreciate the category 3 officials when I run into them. In fact, with BillyMac as my personal role model, I hope to be one someday.
BTW - I accept every sub-varsity game that the assignor gives me. I like working with the category 1's, and I've won over a few category 2's along the way and treasure those opportunities to work with them to get them into the preferable category, either 1 or 3. Those who are in those categories usually consider this forum, in fact, a part of their course of getting better.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 12:19am.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingref View Post
all they see is a striped shirt. as long as you get the calls right, the fans could care less.
fify
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Long string here, this may have been said, but I think this is a touchy subject. Assuming you are a better official because you work the 7:00 game vs. the 5:30 game is poor judgement.
It is, but I think we are living in a fantasy world if we think that most officials that are capable are working the lower level game just to get home quicker. I find that funny because a lot of guys like to be away from home and would like to go out drinking on a Friday or Saturday and not be home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I work plenty of Varsity and sub-Varsity games - I appreciate feedback no matter which game I work. However, feedback should only be offered when asked for. I have a real problem when the Varsity crew starts offering unsolicited advice and then on the court and don't do some of the same things we just got done talking about.
And many do have a problem, but many do not ask for any feedback either. And many go on wondering why they never get varsity games.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I would have went the beer drinking route and staying out with the guys. Now with all the DUI check points we have here in Va. drinking with the guys while driving home from a game or after the game almost guarantees you a nice set of braclets to wear to the county jail. Plus if you have a job and get home around 11 pm and back up by 5 am and then work all day and then another game that evening is kinda tiring.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingref View Post
I am 59 and really enjoy just reffing the games. The difference in varsity pay and j/v is $12.50 in my area. If I do a j/v game I am usually done and home no later than 8 pm. When I get the chance to do a 3 man crew on varsity,I usually get home between 10-30 to 11-00 pm. $12.50 is not worth the difference in time. Also if I get to do a "B" team double header that starts at 4 pm, that is even better. More money less travel and home early. Most of the fans have no clue wether you are a NCCA D 1 guy or local that works for the Humane Society. All they see is a striped shirt. As long as you get the calls right,the fans could care less.
Varsity games take 2-3 hours up your way?

Down here the DHs go 5:30 & 7:00 (GV/BV for AAA; JV/V for AA). My 7:00 games are always done by 8:30. Once had a AAA BV in which we were back in the locker room at 8:10.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 12:37pm.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Varsity games take 2-3 hours up your way?
Our association requires arrival 1 hour before tip off for all varsity games. Many/most B/G double headers start first game at 6:30 then 20 minutes on the clock between games. So arrive at 5:30, end first game at 7:45, start second game ~8:05, end second game ~9:20.

JV B/G double header starting at 4:00. Arrive 3:40, tip at 4:00. 3 to 5 minute Half time with teams staying in team area. Game over by ~4:50. Boys game starts 5:00 done by ~5:50.

$5 less money, 2 hours and 5 minutes vs almost 4 hours.