The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I also went and looked at the CCA Men's Mechanics for example and almost every signal that both the NF or CCA Men's shares is exactly the same. Of course the CCA has more signals, but the signals are almost the same. So I would ask those in any state that insisted that these were "college mechanics" to show where do they have evidence of that. Now maybe Women's basketball shows some different signals in style, but they also look practically the same. The difference in all of the descriptions are the fact the animation is drawn differently. The NF has a cartoon, the CCA uses a Man and a Woman, which my understanding were created by NASO.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I also went and looked at the CCA Men's Mechanics for example and almost every signal that both the NF or CCA Men's shares is exactly the same. Of course the CCA has more signals, but the signals are almost the same. So I would ask those in any state that insisted that these were "college mechanics" to show where do they have evidence of that. Now maybe Women's basketball shows some different signals in style, but they also look practically the same. The difference in all of the descriptions are the fact the animation is drawn differently. The NF has a cartoon, the CCA uses a Man and a Woman, which my understanding were created by NASO.

Peace
Perhaps the better description is not that they are college mechanics necessarily but they are not approved mechanics at all (but are often seen and accepted in college games).
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Several that Im aware of...two hand reporting for fouls (college). Arm and hammer (college) on a foul instead of straight up with fist. Open palm for EVERY out of bounds (or any whistle other than foul). Fingers out to side at C when administring fouls. Those are the ones I've heard mentioned specifically. I'm sure there's more.
OK, I did not recall anyone was talking about two hand reporting. I thought we were talking about arm position on "counting the basket?"

Women's college goes table side on foul switching, are we going to consider doing that a college mechanic too (actually where it came from BTW)?

What if someone is a college quite (Men's) a bit and they forget to go opposite table like they are used to doing, are they operating college mechanics too? BTW that happened to me on Saturday and we filled in when it happened. We laughed about it in the locker room.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps the better description is not that they are college mechanics necessarily but they are not approved mechanics at all (but are often seen and accepted in college games).
I do not even think it is about approval. I think not everyone is a robot, just like if you watch a dance competition you will see different styles or techniques used by different dancers. That is why it is perplexing when people assume something like how you count a basket if not done the way it was suggested is a "college mechanic." It seems like it is more about style than something approved or disapproved.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:08pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sad at all. He's clearly been told what is expected of him and he choose to not do it. That is on him. I'm sure that those that have been chosen in his place are just as good AND follow the instructions of those doing the hiring. I have no sympathy for someone who refuses to do the job as requested and gets passed over.
What's sad is that the state we live in is SO rigid that they are intentionally passing over an outstanding young official because of minor mechanics differences. He's tried to revert to satisfy them but in the heat of battle, he defaults to the highest level and most frequent set that he knows. I've heard this from other assn's around the state as well.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if someone is a college quite (Men's) a bit and they forget to go opposite table like they are used to doing, are they operating college mechanics too?
Yes, if they do it "every time."

It's much the same as the IHSA emphasis on "preliminary signal at the spot of the foul on every foul."
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, if they do it "every time."

It's much the same as the IHSA emphasis on "preliminary signal at the spot of the foul on every foul."
If an official did not use a preliminary signal, it has nothing to do with college ball or at least the college ball I work. In the CCA Men's Manual we are instructed to give a preliminary signal at the spot of the foul. And most college games I see there is a preliminary signal given on practically every foul. If anything that is probably a Women's college thing or what goes on in the NBA. I think people who do not know think if you don't use a preliminary signal like they assume with other things there is some college mechanic that applies to what they see and it does not at least when it applies to the one you see on TV all the time.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If an official did not use a preliminary signal, it has nothing to do with college ball or at least the college ball I work. In the CCA Men's Manual we are instructed to give a preliminary signal at the spot of the foul. And most college games I see there is a preliminary signal given on practically every foul. If anything that is probably a Women's college thing or what goes on in the NBA. I think people who do not know think if you don't use a preliminary signal like they assume with other things there is some college mechanic that applies to what they see and it does not at least when it applies to the one you see on TV all the time.

Peace
Really? In college games you give a hold signal or a push signal on a shooting foul as the L? You'd be the first college official I'd ever seen do that.

I'm a Badger season ticket holder and the only preliminary signals I ever see are for blocks or PC fouls.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Really? In college games you give a hold signal or a push signal on a shooting foul as the L? You'd be the first college official I'd ever seen do that.

I'm a Badger season ticket holder and the only preliminary signals I ever see are for blocks or PC fouls.
I watched 5 minutes of the college game on TV now and while I was reading this post. I saw several preliminary signals at the spot of the fouls. I cannot say I kept track, but the point is that the mechanic is to do that. Whether everyone does is another story. Never been told not to do it at the college camps I attended. Actually I have been told a of things that you see guys do not do on TV. The the next thing said is, "You are not.......you cannot do what they do."

Peace
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Adding Fuel to the Already Raging Fire

Areas of Concern
Released on MyReferee: January 2012
Copyright© Referee Enterprises, Inc.
By Abby Bickel

We’re officiating junkies here in the offices of Referee Enterprises. Several games have been watched and officiated by staff members over the course of the first couple months of the season. Here’s what’s being observed. . . .

Mechanics. High school games require high school mechanics. College games require college mechanics. It’s as simple as that. Remember that you are not above any game that you have accepted to work. Using college mechanics in a high school game displays arrogance whether you want to or not. Using high school mechanics in a college game is a good way to irritate your assigner. Know where you are and use the correct mechanics to avoid confusion. . . .

Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:55pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
No one was calling them a dynasty or saying that your QB was better than the last guy. I think the Packers fans want to jump off a cliff. Or maybe a pile of cheese.

Peace
The Packer Backers will drink their sorrows away and eat dem Brats!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Areas of Concern
Released on MyReferee: January 2012
Copyright© Referee Enterprises, Inc.
By Abby Bickel

We’re officiating junkies here in the offices of Referee Enterprises. Several games have been watched and officiated by staff members over the course of the first couple months of the season. Here’s what’s being observed. . . .

Mechanics. High school games require high school mechanics. College games require college mechanics. It’s as simple as that. Remember that you are not above any game that you have accepted to work. Using college mechanics in a high school game displays arrogance whether you want to or not. Using high school mechanics in a college game is a good way to irritate your assigner. Know where you are and use the correct mechanics to avoid confusion. . . .

I swear that most times articles written in RefMag read like they're written by college interns.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:17pm
This IS My Social Life

Should I Put a New Paragraph Here, or Not?

Quote:
I swear that most times articles written in RefMag read like they're written by college interns.
Apparently that's okay, as long as they don't use high school mechanics when they compose their articles.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I see the hand-check signal given on the spot quite frequently.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I see the hand-check signal given on the spot quite frequently.
Hand checks? In the Big 10?