The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Starting the clock mechanic

I used to be really good at starting the clock and going from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock (so to speak). However, I have found myself recently starting the clock out to the side of my body especially when I feel the table may not be able to see my arm. In other words, instead of starting the clock in front of my body, I will go from 12 to 9.

With that said, looking for opinions on starting the clock properly. Also, do you have a closed fist, two fingers out, 1 finger, or use your whole hand.

Seems like there are lots of variations between junior high and the NBA. Looking for a good high school or college standard to follow here.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly, there is no standard that everyone agrees with or even suggests at least at the HS level. I do not even know of one at the college level, at least on the Men's side. This is just one of those personal things that is about style and personal look.

I personally only go from 12 to 3/4 and close my fist. Never been told to do anything different and I like how it looks for me.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 04:21pm
Huck Finn

I probably go to 10/2 o'clock and have one finger out. Like Rut said, there really isn't a standard; find something that works for you.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:31pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly, there is no standard that everyone agrees with or even suggests at least at the HS level. I do not even know of one at the college level, at least on the Men's side. This is just one of those personal things that is about style and personal look.
I personally only go from 12 to 3/4 and close my fist. Never been told to do anything different and I like how it looks for me.
Peace
There is a standard that many, except in states that are different, agree with and a standard that is suggested at the HS level -- the standard that our state asks of us, here in the land across the lake from Rut. It's not just one of those personal things that is about style and personal look, rather it is that of the Fed, which is what was first suggested in post #1: five fingers from 12 to 6, ala the faceless Mr. Pictograph guy #1. Fist bumps (said to be a college mechanic) and finger points are corrected to this standard at state camps.
Disclaimer: keep in mind not all states use NFHS mechanics from the Officials' Manual. Ours, and many others just happen to.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 07:41pm.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
There is a standard that many, except in states that are different, agree with and a standard that is suggested at the HS level -- the standard that our state asks of us, here in the land across the lake from Rut. It's not just one of those personal things that is about style and personal look, rather it is that of the Fed, which is what was first suggested in post #1: five fingers from 12 to 6, ala the faceless Mr. Pictograph guy #1. Fist bumps (said to be a college mechanic) and finger points are corrected to this standard at state camps.
Disclaimer: keep in mind not all states use NFHS mechanics from the Officials' Manual. Ours, and many others just happen to.
Even if there is a picture in a book, I have never seen anyone require or ask anyone to be that robotic or emulate a picture to the letter. We did not do that even when our state followed NF Mechanics. Maybe there are places that require this, but then they have too much time on their hands or nothing better to worry about as there are so many things no mechanics book covers and I would worry about those things as those things will help you get plays right.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:16pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Even if there is a picture in a book, I have never seen anyone require or ask anyone to be that robotic or emulate a picture to the letter. We did not do that even when our state followed NF Mechanics. Maybe there are places that require this, but then they have too much time on their hands or nothing better to worry about as there are so many things no mechanics book covers and I would worry about those things as those things will help you get plays right. Peace
Your stance on mechanics matters such as these is well known. And I don't necessary disagree with it being that way over there.
But gee, Rut, denigrating what other states do and why they do it ("robotic...emulate a picture...too much time on their hands...nothing better to worry about...") =
Aw, forget it.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have never gone from 12 to 6, and it's never been brought up even in the harshest of critiques. I do about 12-9 with a fist.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I've lived in places like this. Your judgment can be crap as long as you give perfect signals and imitate the pictures in the mechanics manual.

I'd rather spend camp time learning how to get more calls right.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Your stance on mechanics matters such as these is well known. And I don't necessary disagree with it being that way over there.
But gee, Rut, denigrating what other states do and why they do it ("robotic...emulate a picture...too much time on their hands...nothing better to worry about...") =
Aw, forget it.
Not sure why you are so sensitive about it? You mentioned me in your post, I did not say anything about what others did in my original comments.

I have just never heard anyone care about something like this as you stated. Of course you will have people at camps tweak a mechanic or hand position, but not to the extent they follow the picture. I saw a guy yesterday in the prelim game give a hand check signal above his head, so that would get changed if that guy went to a camp I am sure. Actually the pictures have changed over the years and I almost never see a single official signal a bonus foul for example with hands straight across in the "Jesus" pose. Or I hardly ever see a "blocking" signal given with out "fists" at the bottom. I am sure there are officials or clinicians that worry about those things, but it is not that common. And if I am reading some of the other responses, I do not seem to be alone. And the places where people are making comments are certainly not from my state or region of the country. Not sure why saying that would upset you? Then again I guess we just have a different focus on what officiating is I guess.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:43pm
This IS My Social Life

Five Bucks Says I Won't Be Having the Last Word on This

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I've lived in places like this. Your judgment can be crap as long as you give perfect signals and imitate the pictures in the mechanics manual.
That's either exaggeration for the sake of illustration, or a place I've never been before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd rather spend camp time learning how to get more calls right.
So, spending camp time learning how to get more calls right while using standard, accepted mechanics would be okay, right?
The two need not be mutually exclusive.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Something tells me Packerowner is in deep depression and I am sure he does not care about this topic anymore.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Not Do Both Correctly ??? Why Not ???

Quote:
The two need not be mutually exclusive.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Something tells me Packerowner is in deep depression and I am sure he does not care about this topic anymore.

Peace
Tuesday's basketball game can't get here fast enough, I was at the 2007 championship game and that was tough to take, but when you play that bad, I think you feel worse.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 10:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Tuesday's basketball game can't get here fast enough, I was at the 2007 championship game and that was tough to take, but when you play that bad, I think you feel worse.
You could live in New Orleans. They thought they were upset yesterday, and now it turns out they could have hosted the next round.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You could live in New Orleans. They thought they were upset yesterday, and now it turns out they could have hosted the next round.
No one was calling them a dynasty or saying that your QB was better than the last guy. I think the Packers fans want to jump off a cliff. Or maybe a pile of cheese.

Peace