The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question What was the reason for this?

Last night I had two boys MS games in an area where there's an actual MS conference, I was told. I've never worked any games in that area before, but I recently added another assignor (sorry, Camron, this guy doesn't use RefTown, darn it). The second game was 8th grade. Each team had a kid on it that was, for lack of a better term, HUGE! They each were at least 6'2" and built like football linebackers. When they were in the game, they both dominated in the post and off the boards. Don't even ask me about picks.

Here's the strange part. They were never in the game at the same time! When one would sub in, the other coach would take his big kid out. In fact, one time when neither was in the game, one went towards the table to sub but his coach saw the other kid already at the table so he pulled his kid back. They kind of alternated starting each quarter.

I asked my partner what he thought about it and he said it was "bizarre".

Darn - I would have really enjoyed watching them post up against each other.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

They probably wanted to keep the big in to dominate the little guys.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Afraid they'd foul each other too much?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
That would be my guess. Neither coach was willing to get his big kid into foul trouble by having to play against the other big kid. Weird...but that's rec ball.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I wonder if the two didn't have issues in the past and the two coaches agreed to just make sure they didn't see the court at the same time.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 02:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I wonder if the two didn't have issues in the past and the two coaches agreed to just make sure they didn't see the court at the same time.
Seems more likely than any other explanation I can think of.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smart Coach ...

When I was a sophomore, in high school, I would usually start the game, usually play the entire first period, usually sit the entire second period, usually play the entire third period, and usually sit the entire fourth period. My buddy John would play my position, center, when I wasn't playing. We were never in the game at the same time. Both of us would usually end the game with a combined total of eight, or nine fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:18am
This IS My Social Life

Probably This . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Each team had a kid on it that was, for lack of a better term, HUGE! They each were at least 6'2" and built like football linebackers. When they were in the game, they both dominated in the post and off the boards. Don't even ask me about picks.

Here's the strange part. They were never in the game at the same time! When one would sub in, the other coach would take his big kid out. In fact, one time when neither was in the game, one went towards the table to sub but his coach saw the other kid already at the table so he pulled his kid back. They kind of alternated starting each quarter.
The coaches probably viewed the recent video on YouTube and wanted to avoid any possible embarrassment from a parent equipped with a camcorder.

Or did one team, perhaps, have the name "Connell" or something like that on their jersies?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:38am
I miss being on the floor

Genius coach?

8th grade boys last night, one team had a kid 6'4 and beefy.

He got three quick fouls in the first quarter. The coach sat him down for a couple minutes, then said go back in, you're going to be in there until you foul out.

He got one more foul in the first quarter, then played great defense the rest of the game. Obviously there was some lightbulb that went off in his head.