The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Ok I am sure most, if not all, of us are aware of the new rule which makes it a violation to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. Can anyone point me to a place that lists authorized reasons or for that matter unauthorized reasons. I am sure common sense tells most of us what these are, however to head off the nit pik rule guy, what are authorized reasons? thanks
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok I am sure most, if not all, of us are aware of the new rule which makes it a violation to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. Can anyone point me to a place that lists authorized reasons or for that matter unauthorized reasons. I am sure common sense tells most of us what these are, however to head off the nit pik rule guy, what are authorized reasons? thanks
I think you got most of it when you said "common sense".
I would say things like: blood, potty emergency, player heard his Nextel chirp, should be on the list.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

i would really only consider

this an issue if a player is leaving as a protest after a call he was unhappy with or DQ -- if a player during a game who is on the bench gets up and proceeds into the locker room Im going to blow my whistle until i almost collapse then stop the game and run over and ascertain from that team's bench why he got up and left the bench and then if i wasnt satisfied with the answer i got start handing out T's like haloween candy [/end sacrasm]
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering if there's some mis-understanding in this thread about who's leaving the court, and why. The violation relates to players on the court, during play. What the rules committee is trying to address is the situation where, as an example, a player goes OOB to aviod a screen. The committee expressly said the game needs to be played within the confines of the court, so it is considered an unfair advantage if a player uses more than the designated court area. Examples of "authorized" leaving would be diving OOB to try and save a ball, and stepping OOB to administer a throw-in. Another example would be after a made basket, more than one teammate of the thrower may be OOB along the endline for the throw-in.

Displays such as what deecee mentioned, a player walking off the court in protest after a foul call, can still be considered unsporting and therefore a technical would be called, not the violation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

M & M I agree

However where is it written that these are authorized reasons....I guess I am playing Devils Advocate there, I completely agree that those would be authorized, but I can't locate anywhere where it says that this would be authorized...
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I've seen a "list" of reasons. I do remember the NFHS coming out with a couple of paragraphs explaining why they wanted this called, and the reason for changing this to a violation from a T is because it wasn't being called enough in their opinion. One of the most common unauthorized reasons is to get around a screen along the sideline or baseline. I believe another reason they gave in the rules was a dribbler being considered OOB by stepping on the line, even though they might not actually be touching the ball at the time. The point I believe they were trying to make was the game needs to stay within the confines of the court, and not try to use "technicalities" to expand the playing area. I remember seeing an extreme example of an unauthorized leaving several years ago in a video of a high school game. The gym had a wall behind the baseline, and there were doors on either side, pretty much like most gyms. During a play, A1 goes running down the sideline, crosses the endline, and goes right out the door. Of course, the defense is standing around going "WTF?!" (source: Dan_ref). A few seconds later, A1 comes back in the door by the other sideline, steps inbounds, takes the pass, and scores before the defense figures out what's going on.

Obviously, falling OOB, say by going after a ball going OOB, or being pushed OOB, is not unauthorized. But purposely expanding the general playing area to include OOB areas is unauthorized. Does that make sense?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
I'm not sure I've seen a "list" of reasons. I do remember the NFHS coming out with a couple of paragraphs explaining why they wanted this called, and the reason for changing this to a violation from a T is because it wasn't being called enough in their opinion. One of the most common unauthorized reasons is to get around a screen along the sideline or baseline. I believe another reason they gave in the rules was a dribbler being considered OOB by stepping on the line, even though they might not actually be touching the ball at the time. The point I believe they were trying to make was the game needs to stay within the confines of the court, and not try to use "technicalities" to expand the playing area. I remember seeing an extreme example of an unauthorized leaving several years ago in a video of a high school game. The gym had a wall behind the baseline, and there were doors on either side, pretty much like most gyms. During a play, A1 goes running down the sideline, crosses the endline, and goes right out the door. Of course, the defense is standing around going "WTF?!" (source: Dan_ref). A few seconds later, A1 comes back in the door by the other sideline, steps inbounds, takes the pass, and scores before the defense figures out what's going on.

Obviously, falling OOB, say by going after a ball going OOB, or being pushed OOB, is not unauthorized. But purposely expanding the general playing area to include OOB areas is unauthorized. Does that make sense?
TRANSLATION: It's a violation for any player to deliberately go OOB to gain an advantage.

Call it that way and you'll never have a problem.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
TRANSLATION: It's a violation for any player to deliberately go OOB to gain an advantage.

Yea - what he said.

Geesh, I can be unbearably long-winded, can't I?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Yea - what he said.

Yes.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea - what he said.

Yes.
Shut up.

(Damn, that's still twice as many words.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea - what he said.

Yes.
Shut up.

(Damn, that's still twice as many words.)
One monkey, 24 seconds.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Don't call me Cheetah, or I'll tell MTD on you!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Don't call me Cheetah, or I'll tell MTD on you!
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

ok now the reason

Ok guys now the reason for the thread to begin with...Before I type the rest let me say I agree with you guys, the advantage thing and all that. I knew full well what I would call anyway. Player A1 is driving the lane shoots a layup and his momentum takes him out of bounds. This situation was brought to my attention by another official who agrees it shouldn't be called, but until the Federation comes out with something more, it certainly could be by a strict reading of the book. Even throw(devils advocate again here)in the advantage thing, if he can't shoot the layup and remain in bounds maybe he is gaining an advantage....ok fire away LOL
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Leaving the court is permitted when directed by an official (an authority), or due to momentum (This is one of these truths that is self-evident). Leaving the court of your own volition requires an official's approval.