The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What was the reason for this? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85630-what-reason.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:40pm

What was the reason for this?

Last night I had two boys MS games in an area where there's an actual MS conference, I was told. I've never worked any games in that area before, but I recently added another assignor (sorry, Camron, this guy doesn't use RefTown, darn it). The second game was 8th grade. Each team had a kid on it that was, for lack of a better term, HUGE! They each were at least 6'2" and built like football linebackers. When they were in the game, they both dominated in the post and off the boards. Don't even ask me about picks.

Here's the strange part. They were never in the game at the same time! When one would sub in, the other coach would take his big kid out. In fact, one time when neither was in the game, one went towards the table to sub but his coach saw the other kid already at the table so he pulled his kid back. They kind of alternated starting each quarter.

I asked my partner what he thought about it and he said it was "bizarre".

Darn - I would have really enjoyed watching them post up against each other.

Welpe Wed Jan 11, 2012 01:31pm

They probably wanted to keep the big in to dominate the little guys.

Eastshire Wed Jan 11, 2012 01:54pm

Afraid they'd foul each other too much?

rockyroad Wed Jan 11, 2012 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 812373)

That would be my guess. Neither coach was willing to get his big kid into foul trouble by having to play against the other big kid. Weird...but that's rec ball.

Altor Wed Jan 11, 2012 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 812373)

I wonder if the two didn't have issues in the past and the two coaches agreed to just make sure they didn't see the court at the same time.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2012 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 812406)
I wonder if the two didn't have issues in the past and the two coaches agreed to just make sure they didn't see the court at the same time.

Seems more likely than any other explanation I can think of.

BillyMac Wed Jan 11, 2012 06:28pm

Smart Coach ...

When I was a sophomore, in high school, I would usually start the game, usually play the entire first period, usually sit the entire second period, usually play the entire third period, and usually sit the entire fourth period. My buddy John would play my position, center, when I wasn't playing. We were never in the game at the same time. Both of us would usually end the game with a combined total of eight, or nine fouls.

Freddy Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18am

Probably This . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 812345)
Each team had a kid on it that was, for lack of a better term, HUGE! They each were at least 6'2" and built like football linebackers. When they were in the game, they both dominated in the post and off the boards. Don't even ask me about picks.

Here's the strange part. They were never in the game at the same time! When one would sub in, the other coach would take his big kid out. In fact, one time when neither was in the game, one went towards the table to sub but his coach saw the other kid already at the table so he pulled his kid back. They kind of alternated starting each quarter.

The coaches probably viewed the recent video on YouTube and wanted to avoid any possible embarrassment from a parent equipped with a camcorder.

Or did one team, perhaps, have the name "Connell" or something like that on their jersies?

stiffler3492 Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38am

Genius coach?

8th grade boys last night, one team had a kid 6'4 and beefy.

He got three quick fouls in the first quarter. The coach sat him down for a couple minutes, then said go back in, you're going to be in there until you foul out.

He got one more foul in the first quarter, then played great defense the rest of the game. Obviously there was some lightbulb that went off in his head.