The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question

This was mentioned in another thread, but to avoid mixing this discussion with advice for a first time camper, I thought I'd start a thread.

Sombody said, as Lead, look for a reason to rotate.

I've heard that before, but you know what? I have no idea what that means. It sounds to me as if the person is saying, "I know the ball is over there, but don't rotate yet. Yep, it's right in front of the C, but stay here for a minute".

To me, if I'm not ballside, that's a darn good reason to rotate. The whole point of 3-whistle officiating is to have two officials on the strong side of the court, isn't it?

So if the ball is opposite me for more than a second and a half, I'm going.

What other reason are people suggesting that we are looking for?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This was mentioned in another thread, but to avoid mixing this discussion with advice for a first time camper, I thought I'd start a thread.

I've heard that before, but you know what? I have no idea what that means. It sounds to me as if the person is saying, "I know the ball is over there, but don't rotate yet. Yep, it's right in front of the C, but stay here for a minute".

To me, if I'm not ballside, that's a darn good reason to rotate. The whole point of 3-whistle officiating is to have two officials on the strong side of the court, isn't it?

That was me.

What It means is officials that are used to 2 person tend to look for a reason besides where the ball is to go ball side.

In 2 person some tend to not yo-yo across the lane when a team is passing it around the top, but not attacking the basket, a lot of us will go with the post players.

So when these officials do 3 person they tend to hesitate and will rotate LATE, thus leaving the center official stuck officiating the play and rotating at the same time.

This leads to 4 eyes on 2 players and causes a lot of missed rotations in transtition.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Seems to me.

Quote:

Chuck,
RE: Look for a reason.

That's taught at Women's clinics.

What it seems to me to mean is 'if you think the ball, or action, is gonna be across, get there, now'.

The ball doesn't have to settle, the players don't hafta be heading that way.

Women's officials seem to go across 25%-30% (totally swagged) more often than Men's officials.

The next time you work with a Women's official, see if you notice what I notice, that for no apparent reason you are now New Lead.

mick
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Seems to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Chuck,
RE: Look for a reason.

That's taught at Women's clinics.

What it seems to me to mean is 'if you think the ball, or action, is gonna be across, get there, now'.

The ball doesn't have to settle, the players don't hafta be heading that way.

Women's officials seem to go across 25%-30% (totally swagged) more often than Men's officials.

The next time you work with a Women's official, see if you notice what I notice, that for no apparent reason you are now New Lead.

mick
Actually this is very true. Because Men tend to skip pass alot and get the ball and go very quickly to the bucket. I have been taught to not just rotate, just to rotate. But to make sure the ball settles and is going to stay on that side. Also I have been told that just because they go to one side of the court, do not just rotate if it is clear the team is right handed for example. They might just be moving the ball to bring it right back in the same side of the court.

Peace
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Chuck,
It seems to me as if it is supposed to be in contrast to "look for reasons not to rotate."
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not me.

First, for me, strong side is not necessarily where the ball is. Strong side can move where most of the players are. More officiating may be needed where there are more players, not necessarily where the ball is.

Other issues can effect whether I rotate as well. For example:

I'm L, tableside.
A1 has been posting up in the low post all night long.
If A1 is tableside, I'm staying tableside, even if the ball rotates opposite.
I know that the ball is either coming back or A1 will come off a screen and move opposite.

Finally, in girls ball, if you roatate everytime the ball goes below the FT line extended, you're going to rotate 2 or 3 times on every trip necessary. To me, that's unnecessary.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
I thought that was because they just didn't have a clue what they were doing.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think it's more of a "learning" thing. Officials new to three-person (in general) do not rotate as often as they should. It's like they are afraid of rotating and then haviong the ball and play go back to the other side. I've seen games where no rotations happened -- even though they should (imho) have. So, to get new officials used to rotating, the phrase was developed.

Like any general phrase (see the "if a body hits the floor, you must call a foul" thread), it can be taken to an extreme or be used where it wasn't intended.

Old Sun May 30, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When I teach "look for a reason to rotate," that's what I'm referring to - if there's even a slight possibility that the ball will stay there, go. I.e., for a newbie, it's better to cross over then come right back than to stay.

Maybe it's not clear enough as an instruction to novices.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
I've seen games where no rotations happened -- even though they should (imho) have.
I've officiated in those games - they're no fun.