The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
When I was first starting out, it would bother me to have a bad partner( I probably was too) When I do a grammar/travel/aau game, I simply adjust and try and get through it. That said, I had the most aggravating veteran partner over the weekend for a travel tourney. Personality of a slug, it was all I could do from saying something on his performance, demeanor.

At the varsity level, it's being addressed at timeouts or halftime if there is a situation that could be problematic going forward in game.
As a 1st year basketball official I know I'm going to have some bad partners, I expect that and I haven't been disappointed in that regard. I just learn from it, it's actually a good experience because you can decide what not to take from that game.

My first game this year I made every rookie mistake one could expect, I was lost no question. My partner had some issues himself and just focused on me and telling me that I needed a lot of work if I was going to step out on the court with him again.

After working with some really good partners I've cut my errors down to a few big ones and am getting better every game, I worked with a former D3 college official and she asked me if I ever played because I have a great court presence for a rookie and get into a position to rule on every play.

Then of course I had the guy the next night who showed up just before tip off, in a wrinkled uniform and said he doesn't call many fouls or run any more but he looked forward to offering me whatever improvements he could.

Filed that in the proper file!
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
As a 1st year basketball official I know I'm going to have some bad partners, I expect that and I haven't been disappointed in that regard. I just learn from it, it's actually a good experience because you can decide what not to take from that game.

My first game this year I made every rookie mistake one could expect, I was lost no question. My partner had some issues himself and just focused on me and telling me that I needed a lot of work if I was going to step out on the court with him again.

After working with some really good partners I've cut my errors down to a few big ones and am getting better every game, I worked with a former D3 college official and she asked me if I ever played because I have a great court presence for a rookie and get into a position to rule on every play.

Then of course I had the guy the next night who showed up just before tip off, in a wrinkled uniform and said he doesn't call many fouls or run any more but he looked forward to offering me whatever improvements he could.

Filed that in the proper file!
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Regarding partners, everybody and I mean everybody, was in your place at one time. The good thing about some of your partners is you can learn from their mistakes rather than having to experience it yourself. You actually are doing a clinic that you're getting paid for. Keep a notebook on each game with a few things you saw or did(did I do this? no, didn't hit me til years later).

I just wish I had found this site 'back in the day'.

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Jan 10, 2012 at 04:24pm.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

At the AAU level you are working you will have guys that don't care and are no fun to work with. Use it as a challenge to improve your game and your communication skills. At the end of the day, if your partner doesn't care, you will have a hard time changing his mind.

I would recommend seeking games where the caliber of official (and play) is higher. Working with better partners will help you get better. Unfortunately you have guys like this and there is little you can do.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 08:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
He WAS 65 years old. WAS? Is he still around

HEY!!! I am sixty years old and still around (a round as in Charles Barkley around, ).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Regarding partners, everybody and I mean everybody, was in your place at one time. The good thing about some of your partners is you can learn from their mistakes rather than having to experience it yourself. You actually are doing a clinic that you're getting paid for. Keep a notebook on each game with a few things you saw or did(did I do this? no, didn't hit me til years later).

I just wish I had found this site 'back in the day'.
I feel really good about what I'm doing. I have a goal of adding or improving something every game.

I have always kept extensive notes about my baseball/softball games so I have carried that over.

I'm watching my self ratings improve most nights, I know when I have a bad game and I record that.

It is good to have a partner that I can learn from and take things from. I am also making all kinds of notes about what I read here, that really helps too.