The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
An easy partner to work with

This guy always watches the ball. Always. Always. He always calls the foul on the shot. Always. And of course, he always whistles the oob. That just leaves me to cover every thing else. COuldn't be easier!
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm sure I was that ref when I started.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
We probably all were.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

I know I was that ref when I started.... then one night I worked with a guy just like me and realized how bad it was. Juulie, did he also chase every loose ball, take your check and eat your popcorn?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
This guy always watches the ball. Always. Always. He always calls the foul on the shot. Always. And of course, he always whistles the oob. That just leaves me to cover every thing else. COuldn't be easier!
Easy money for you.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the HS and CC seasons are over, I work some Jr. High ball. Last year I had a fairly new partner who was calling all over the place. At the first time out I said, "Hey partner, do you trust me as a ref?" He said, "of course I do." With a big smile I said, "well then how about if you give me first chance at calls in my primary?" He smiled and said, "gotcha." He was great after that.

That partner was a pretty decent ref. A lot of our jr. high games get assigned with TWO new officials on them. In addition to being a ball-watcher like all of us were when we started, he probably had games where he NEEDED to call all over the court for the good of the game.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was that tonight Juulie?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Was that tonight Juulie?
If you saw who I was working with, you know the answer to that question.

He's a nice guy, and easy to work with, as long as his P doesn't mind carrying the load. which was easy last night. I've never had two whole games with absolutely not one complaint about any calls at all. Made me wonder what they'd put in the water!
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you saw who I was working with, you know the answer to that question.

He's a nice guy, and easy to work with, as long as his P doesn't mind carrying the load. which was easy last night. I've never had two whole games with absolutely not one complaint about any calls at all. Made me wonder what they'd put in the water!
That's what I figured....been there

Our games were both blowouts, but it was good basketball. Not quite as congenial as you described, though it wasn't bad. We had to settle one coach down, and the fans were typical MS parents - short on rules knowledge and long on mouth. Gee, I never knew you could travel while dribbling or fumbling the ball....or that you could commit a 3 second violation when there was no team control. Shame on me, I just must not have been paying attention when all these changes happened...

Game management was great, as they always seem to be at this site. At one point I was T table side administering an inbound near the division line and a player catches the inbound pass while straddling the division line. Some parent right behind the table yells "over & back", and I hear one of the sponsoring HS coaches tell him "These are varsity officials and probably know the rules a whole lot better than you do. Why don't you relax and enjoy the game." Made me smile to myself.......

Last edited by TimTaylor; Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 03:14pm.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
That's what I figured....been there

Our games were both blowouts, but it was good basketball. Not quite as congenial as you described, though it wasn't bad. We had to settle one coach down, and the fans were typical MS parents - short on rules knowledge and long on mouth. Gee, I never knew you could travel while dribbling or fumbling the ball....or that you could commit a 3 second violation when there was no team control. Shame on me, I just must not have been paying attention when all these chamges happened...

Game managemnt was great, as they always seem to be at this site. .
I agree completely. Haven't ever had an MS tournament that was as well managed. On time!! we were on time last night! Unbelievable.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

We need to talk, Juulie. 'Cause I worked with your parnter last week. But in my case, despite the fact that my P was making all the calls, the HC jumped on my tail about the perceived inconsistency. I gave him the T as much to just get a call of my own as to reward his bad behavior. Tom, you'd be proud of me; I skipped the stop sign and went straight to the T.