The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Frustrating night....(long rant)

Last Friday I was working a girls V game (2-person) with a referee that is from the town we were working in. It was a very competitive game, but didn't have much flow as there were 26 fouls called in the first half and 24 in the second half. Also, it was the #1 team in the state (visitor) against the #10 team in the state (home). Well, with about 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter I T'd the home coach because he kept saying "quit being a spectator" as my partner and I would run past him. I would say that I called 40% of the fouls and 70% of the violations so we actually blew the whistle about the same amount. (not that it matters)

Well, after calling the T he asks my partner my name (he is a 1st year coach) so he knows not to hire me again. Then he says to me, it will be the last time I ref one of his games. I just nodded and kept on working. We had many people from both teams tell us it was one of the best reffed games they had seen, and yet, I probably won't get hired back because each coach/AD contracts their officials each year (not through an association/assignor)

I really wanted to mention to him that I have his region and the state tournament if he happens to make it.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Well, after calling the T he asks my partner my name (he is a 1st year coach) so he knows not to hire me again. Then he says to me, it will be the last time I ref one of his games.
This is where you toss him.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last Friday I was working a girls V game (2-person) with a referee that is from the town we were working in. It was a very competitive game, but didn't have much flow as there were 26 fouls called in the first half and 24 in the second half. Also, it was the #1 team in the state (visitor) against the #10 team in the state (home). Well, with about 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter I T'd the home coach because he kept saying "quit being a spectator" as my partner and I would run past him. I would say that I called 40% of the fouls and 70% of the violations so we actually blew the whistle about the same amount. (not that it matters)

Well, after calling the T he asks my partner my name (he is a 1st year coach) so he knows not to hire me again. Then he says to me, it will be the last time I ref one of his games. I just nodded and kept on working. We had many people from both teams tell us it was one of the best reffed games they had seen, and yet, I probably won't get hired back because each coach/AD contracts their officials each year (not through an association/assignor)

I really wanted to mention to him that I have his region and the state tournament if he happens to make it.
Seems to me that that was a threat. Others will correct me if it is necessary, but that should warrant a T, whether it is the 1st one or the 2nd one.

Did you consider letting him know how convenient that was as he was now done coaching this game?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is where you toss him.
i concur -- no need to take that type of intimidation. T then puke on his shoes.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Seems to me that that was a threat. Others will correct me if it is necessary, but that should warrant a T, whether it is the 1st one or the 2nd one.

Did you consider letting him know how convenient that was as he was now done coaching this game?
You're right. For that matter, your partner should have tossed him for you when he asked for your name.

Since he didn't, you should have when he said it to you.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
For that matter, your partner should have tossed him for you when he asked for your name.
That's what I was thinking, though not "tossed him for you," as if it were solely or primarily your responsibility.

Also makes it clear that partner's not planning to cash in on the openings when you're not rehired.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
That's what I was thinking, though not "tossed him for you," as if it were solely or primarily your responsibility.

Also makes it clear that partner's not planning to cash in on the openings when you're not rehired.
I was thinking in strict terms of having your back. By allowing the coach to say that about your partner, you may as well be driving the proverbial bus.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Me, after this comment . . . "well, coach, let me help you get a head start on all that paperwork." TWEET. Then I report the technical. "Coach, you have 30 seconds to vacate the visual confines of the gymnasium. If you refuse to leave, your team will forfeit this contest. Thanks for your help."
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The most frustrating part of officiating HS sports where I live is that chuckleheads like this coach (1) get to "rate my performance" (as if he would have any clue) and (2) they do influence commissioners and assignors when it comes time to hire people -- that is if they don't do the hiring themselves (as in the OP's situation).

(Hey, if he's doing the hiring and isn't bringing you back, well, it's a no brainer anyway -- you may as well remember your last or only visit as the one where you chunked the moron for, umm, being a moron.)
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

hope the game is being broadcast coach because that is the only way you'll see the end of this one!!

tha is a threat and deserves the second T hopefully your partner would deliver for you.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Me, after this comment . . . "well, coach, let me help you get a head start on all that paperwork." TWEET. Then I report the technical. "Coach, you have 30 seconds to vacate the visual confines of the gymnasium. If you refuse to leave, your team will forfeit this contest. Thanks for your help."
How about more direct and to the point: "Coach, you have 30 seconds to leave the gym. If you don't, your team forfeits the game."
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

The coach said it to my partner a little later, coming out of a time out. I think he doesn't want a confrontation as he is well known in this town and at this school. I do wish he would have given the second T, however I personally don't really blame him for not.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The coach said it to my partner a little later, coming out of a time out. I think he doesn't want a confrontation as he is well known in this town and at this school. I do wish he would have given the second T, however I personally don't really blame him for not.
I thought he said it to you the second time.

I hope your partner has a license to drive that bus.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Well..If I'm not coming back...

Huntin" Ref,

Sounds like the good ole days when I worked in Indiana. AD's hired the officials for all sports and coaches rate officials for the post season. They believed they have all the power.

In your case, When he said "I got your name, you won't be working here anymore!", I would have made the end of my last game at that school much more enjoyable. He tried to exert influence over you by "holding a contract over your head." Good enough for me to send him packing.