The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 07:32pm
Huck Finn

This thread is started out of pure frustration. I had a game last night and I wasn't happy with it. We did not effect the outcome of the game and someone told me "good game" after the game but it didn't matter. I know the crew should have done better. It was like I was officiating and he was doing something else. It was the kind of game where you have to make calls. Calls that will not be popular but calls. It started off bad when he talked to me like I was a rookie because I'm new to the area. I expect that but most of the time the other official is decent at worst. And, the school normally has 3-person. He even asked me "have you ever done a big ballgame?" This is what I'm thinking "first of all this isn't a big ballgame, and have you ever done a big ballgame?" I know every game is big to the kids but for officials the easiest way to screw up is to get caught up with the emotion of the game. This was a non-conference game in December and on paper it was a blowout and in reality it was a blowout! We talked about the trail following the play all the way to the hoop and he didn't agree. See, it's his thinking on this matter that let me know I was in trouble. We had a blarge in this game and I was the only one in the gym that knew it. I was trail of course and I was officiating the defense. I had a whistle without a preliminary and he had a charge. I did say "block" but nobody heard me so I went to the other end of the court. The defender knew he moved in after the player was airborn and he told me so. I had to make the unpopular calls that were the correct calls while he made the obvious calls. To sum it up, my mentors taught me to handle business and I don't think we did a good job as a crew. We weren't consistent and we almost lost control. He didn't interact with the coaches or the players. I even told him at halftime that we almost lost control. He even dressed in the wrong place after the coach told him he should be where I was. He didn't move his stuff! I'm a perfectionist and I wish the assigner could get a copy of this game.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

The most frustrating the my partner has ever done:

Called the game because an assistant coach was asking for us to give him a technical foul. My partner said that his conduct would transfer to the kids, and the last 30 seconds of the game would be a living hell. We didn't make a lot of friends that day.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Called the game because an assistant coach was asking for us to give him a technical foul. My partner said that his conduct would transfer to the kids, and the last 30 seconds of the game would be a living hell. We didn't make a lot of friends that day.
Oh, my gosh, ref18!! I didn't recognize you by your screen name. I didn't know it bothered you so much, although I did leave in kind of a hurry. I only wish you hadn't told everybody about this...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 09:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Oh, my gosh, ref18!! I didn't recognize you by your screen name. I didn't know it bothered you so much, although I did leave in kind of a hurry. I only wish you hadn't told everybody about this...
Hmmmmm!

Ref18 is from Ontario, Canada. Rainmaker's from the Left Coast. One of them sure must have got lost going to their game that day.

Forget your Thomas Guide again, Juulie, and you ended up in Canada?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was L and my partner was trail, 2.4 seconds left on the clock.

After a score, A1 passed to A2 who had stepped OOB.

My partner chopped the clock in, though I didn't realize it at the time.

The horn sounded as A3 caught the ball in his FT lane.

He wanted to give A the ball on their baseline and put 2.4 seconds back on the clock.

I killed the SOB.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 09:38pm
In Memoriam

Talking

LOL!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not a major issue, but annoying

A pet peeve of mine is the "partner" who gives the foul-tip signal (baseball) when a defender swipes at the ball attempting to block the shot when I can clearly see contact on the shooter; it is even more infuriating when the call is IN MY PRIMARY.

Additional Pet peeve: (2 for the price of 1 ) The "partner" (as a Lead) who "Toilet swishes" an airballed FT.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am lead. Play in the middle of the key. I need popcorn, M&M's, and a large coke I have such a great view. Defender blocks shot, squeaky clean. Partner, from Trail, maybe 1/2 step inside the halfcourt line, calls a foul. Adds the editorial comment, for all to hear,

"C'mon partner, we gotta call that".

I believe he's still cleaning the puke off his shoes today. With his good arm.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I am lead. Play in the middle of the key. I need popcorn, M&M's, and a large coke I have such a great view. Defender blocks shot, squeaky clean. Partner, from Trail, maybe 1/2 step inside the halfcourt line, calls a foul. Adds the editorial comment, for all to hear,

"C'mon partner, we gotta call that".

I believe he's still cleaning the puke off his shoes today. With his good arm.
I'm tellin' ya, you shoulda killed him.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
A partner wanted to argue mechanics with me on the court before two free-throws... Said i was ball watching. .. NO! I was looking through the "triangle" to my primary and I use my perephial. It just so happened that everytime i took a quick glance to see where the ball was he was looking at me. I just poliety told him to wait till half-time to talk about it. We walked in the locker rooma nd he had his board out and everything. I said look first of all I dont want to hear a damn thing because your making calls infront of me that I dont want called. YOUR out of your primary. Secondly, next time you have a problem with something dont do it infront of players and coaches, thirdly. Why are you even looking at my eyes? shouldn't you be watching the play?

he was called into this game at the last minute.. and he usually only works with this other guy and he said we didnt need no stinkin pre-game. I just rolled my eyes and finsihed getting ready. I knew it was gunna be al ong game when he walked in becuase he only works with this one other guy 95% of the time.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking Uh-oh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Hmmmmm!

Ref18 is from Ontario, Canada. Rainmaker's from the Left Coast. One of them sure must have got lost going to their game that day.

Forget your Thomas Guide again, Juulie, and you ended up in Canada?
Sure, she came up here for our beef.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:17am

Cool

Quote:

Aahh, c'mon ref18, who was it? We know many refs in Steel Town.

Just kidding of course: don't tell me any names.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:18am

Re: Not a major issue, but annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
A pet peeve of mine is the "partner" who gives the foul-tip signal (baseball) when a defender swipes at the ball attempting to block the shot when I can clearly see contact on the shooter; it is even more infuriating when the call is IN MY PRIMARY.

Additional Pet peeve: (2 for the price of 1 ) The "partner" (as a Lead) who "Toilet swishes" an airballed FT.
Laugh as you will... what is a "toilet swish?"
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not a major issue, but annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

Laugh as you will... what is a "toilet swish?"
You're kiddin', right?

Take your finger and swirl it around and around like you were stirring a drink.

That's the toilet swish.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 12:38am

Re: Re: Re: Not a major issue, but annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You're kiddin', right?

Take your finger and swirl it around and around like you were stirring a drink.

That's the toilet swish. [/B]
I don't think I've ever seen that. I can't imagine why an official would do that.