The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Moving screen

A1 driving to basket on bench side from half court. A3 is positioned in the paint near the basket with B3 behind her. By the time A1 is free throw line extended, A3 has positioned herself so as B3 is behind her on the opposite side of bench side, giving A1 a clean drive to the basket. At this point B3 is trying to get around A3. However, A3 is moving her feet to prevent B3 from getting around. B3 has not established a initial legal guarding position on A1. So, is it legal for A3 to continue to move to prevent B3 from getting around her?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

A moving screen in itself is not illegal. There are parameters to call and illegal screen and you could be moving or stationary if you do not give the proper time and distance.

That being said if all if B3 was just trying to get around and A3 was not illegally contacting B3, then that is a legal play. Hard to say from the computer screen if that is right. I have seen this play often and usually it is illegal, but not everything is cut and dry as it seems.

Also usually I will not call a foul on a screen if the player being screened does nothing to get around the screen. I see a lot of illegal screens where the player being screened kind of gives up and accepts they cannot get around them. If they fight to get around and clearly the contact was the result, then I have a foul.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:07pm
Administrator

Rut summed it up pretty good as to how to look at the play.

Of course one could always call A3 for Obstruction and award Team B an Indirect Free Kick, opps wrong sport, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 07:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut summed it up pretty good as to how to look at the play.

Of course one could always call A3 for Obstruction and award Team B an Indirect Free Kick, opps wrong sport, .

MTD, Sr.
Is that still a rule in soccer? They obstruct all the time with balls headed beyond the byline. (Or kicked, even).
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Tyson View Post
A1 driving to basket on bench side from half court. A3 is positioned in the paint near the basket with B3 behind her. By the time A1 is free throw line extended, A3 has positioned herself so as B3 is behind her on the opposite side of bench side, giving A1 a clean drive to the basket. At this point B3 is trying to get around A3. However, A3 is moving her feet to prevent B3 from getting around. B3 has not established a initial legal guarding position on A1. So, is it legal for A3 to continue to move to prevent B3 from getting around her?
The screening rules apply, and, yes, you often see the post player holding or otherwise creating an illegal screen for a driving player from the wing.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
if B3 was just trying to get around and A3 was not illegally contacting B3, then that is a legal play.
That's the key. No illegal contact, no foul.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 12:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
There could even be contact, the issue is is the defender dancing or being prevented from getting to a spot because of the contact.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good point about the "dancing or being prevented from getting to a spot". The play I saw A3 only had to move a couple feet back and forth, keeping her body in front of her. To me she was beating B3 to the spot. However, the question is she preventing her freedom of movement? I see post players, posting up, doing the same thing with no foul.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point about the "dancing or being prevented from getting to a spot". The play I saw A3 only had to move a couple feet back and forth, keeping her body in front of her. To me she was beating B3 to the spot. However, the question is she preventing her freedom of movement? I see post players, posting up, doing the same thing with no foul.
Moving while screening is legal if both players are moving in the same direction and path.

If the B3 is attempting to move around A3 is moving and creating contact to prevent the defender from getting by, the screen is illegal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 02:11pm.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 01:22am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Moving while screening is legal if both players are moving in the same direction and path.

If the B3 is attempting to move around A3 is moving and creating contact to prevent the defender from getting by, the screen is illegal.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that rule about moving screens and SAME path SAME direction refer to some thing like chasing a loose ball. Example ball last touched by A1 and it is rolling toward out of bounds. B1 gets between A1 and the ball and lets it roll out of bounds screening A1 from getting tot he ball. This would be the moving screen that is legal. Same with A1 fast break and A2 steps in front of B1 slowing down to keep him from making a defensive play. Those are really the only two I can think of. Same direction, same path.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:19am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that rule about moving screens and SAME path SAME direction refer to some thing like chasing a loose ball.
What does the rule say? I think you'll find no such restriction.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Time and distance apply when guarding a player without the ball. If B3 has established a path around the A player, A3 needs to abide by the rule and not interfere with B's path.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Can't that be said about most, if not all, fouls?