The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Question: Free Throw Violation?

I am a referee in a youth league that tries to go by high school rules other than a few variations for the youngest kids. League is for 5-12 year olds. We have run into an unusual situation and can't decide whether it is a violation or just bad sportsmanship. Here it is: Can the opposing team lined up in the blocks during a free throw attempt yell and scream at the shooter. The standard stuff, "miss it", "hey shooter", etc. while he has ball in hand. I never see this happen during high school, college or NBA games so I have assumed it was a violation. However, I can't find a rule that says so. If it isn't, then we will probably add the rule for our league as we want more focus on learning and less on winning. I would just like to know if there is a rule on this situation. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

It is "disconcertion" and first punishable by allowing the shooter another shot. I usually explain the call so all can hear it. If it persists, the punishment should be handled by a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct.

It ain't called a "free throw" for nothing! Supposed to be free from defense/harrassment!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot. I knew it had to be a violation. One more: does that extend to opposing bench players or just those in the blocks?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 09:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteele95 View Post
Thanks a lot. I knew it had to be a violation. One more: does that extend to opposing bench players or just those in the blocks?
The rule applies to any "opponent" of the free thrower. That includes players, team members on the bench, coaches, and any bench personnel.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 09:34am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteele95 View Post
Rule 9-1-3c says, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." And the penalty that follows is found at the end of that section.
Though it doesn't say "No player...", and whereas "opponent" might certainly include bench personnel, you'll likely run into lots of opposition to call a violation against a non-player. Consensus on this forum and here locally suggests warning the bench personnel to knock it off, then issue a bench technical if it's severe enough to mandate it rather than issue a violation.
(I don't agree, but "Mongo just pawn in game of life")
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Disconcertion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The rule applies to any "opponent" of the free thrower. That includes players, team members on the bench, coaches, and any bench personnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
You'll likely run into lots of opposition to call a violation against a non-player.
Freddy is right, there are two sides to this interpretation, but I wouldn't go as far as using the word, "lots". Nevertheless, I'm siding with Scrapper1 on this one.

Also, don't forget the delayed violation, "fist out to the side signal", because if the free throw goes in, you're not calling this violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
If it persists, the punishment should be handled by a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct.
"Miss it", and, "Hey shooter", can certainly be disconcerting, but they may, and note that I said, "may", also be considered unsporting, and one could, and note that I said, "could", not, "should", consider charging a technical foul. That may be like an elephant stepping on an ant, but one could go that way. The, "but is not limited to", wording for unsporting conduct should back you up here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 11:14am.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

He Doesn't Get An Extra Shot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
It is "disconcertion" and first punishable by allowing the shooter another shot.
Not if the free throw goes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Don't forget the delayed violation, "fist out to the side signal", because if the free throw goes in, you're not calling this violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 11:16am.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In my experience, one disconcertion violation on this should be enough to stop it. They'll probably cry about it, including the coach. Don't get into an argument, tell them to stop complaining (the leash should be very short for this issue at that level), and get the ball in play.