The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Tonight had a Co-ed A Championship game. In the second overtime, Team A down by 1 point and got fouled sending them to the line in double bonus (2 free throws). A1 gets the ball for the first freethrow and while he is going through his motions, A2 steps into the lane just barely with one foot, he wasn't looking down.

I let it go because there was no advantage gained since there was no rebound coming on the shot and if any disadvantage was for the shooter, it caem from his teammate. I know its not the rule. However, in a double overtime championship game, I did not want to make a call to change the outcome of the game. Obviously the crowd was riding our asses about it.

Ironically, A1 missed BOTH free throws and Team B won.

Still, it was my first championship game ever and I tried to show restraint.

During the previous night's Men's A semifinal I also was a lot more lax on technical fouls... had a player cuss at me telling me to "watch the fn elbows"

During our pregame and halftime pregame our crew discussed calling things tight to get the game under control so we could try our best to avoid blowing our whistle in the last 5 minutes and let the players play. This is not to say we didn't call fouls and such, we wanted to essentially program the players to not foul. It ended up working really well and we had a great game.

Others thoughts on both situations and showing restraint on certain calls in playoff games. Maybe I was way off base? Its possible. Hence why I come for opinions.

thanks
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't subscribe to the philosophy of calling a playoff or championship game differently than you would normally officiate.
Afterall, you are probably assigned that game because of how you normally officiate. Why would you want to change that?
I have actually tried this and had a bad experience with it. I went away wishing that I had just called it my normal way.

Yes, I would call the lane violation. The player stepped in. I didn't determine anything. The player did with his action.

I would also issue a technical foul for the foul language that was used in the elbow complaint.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Brad,

I would have called the lane violation and I certainly would have T'd that player up for his language.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Can't say if I'd call the violation. I'd have to see it. Did everybody know he did it? Or was it his baby toe, just sticking over the line?

The firetrucking elbows comment gets a T, no question.