The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:53pm
Back from the DL

Tweet or no tweet?

While watching a varsity game after the JV one I worked, something occurred to me that I never do, because I didn't think it was necessary.

During the varsity game: first of two free throws, shooter misses everything. Tweet.

It suddenly dawned on me that the only time, as the trail, I blow the whistle on such no-rim-touched violations is on the last free throw of the set. I suppose I just didn't see the point to do it otherwise. Sure, it's a violation, but missing everything on the first free throw (or second of three) results the same as simply missing the shot (double violations notwithstanding).

For everyone, free-throw shooter misses everything, but he has at least one more coming. Tweet or no tweet?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Probably no, but never thought about it unless the ball is going to be live. Maybe the official forgot the situation.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

No tweet from me in that sitch.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:06am
This IS My Social Life

From the Officials' Manual . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
While watching a varsity game after the JV one I worked, something occurred to me that I never do, because I didn't think it was necessary.

During the varsity game: first of two free throws, shooter misses everything. Tweet.

It suddenly dawned on me that the only time, as the trail, I blow the whistle on such no-rim-touched violations is on the last free throw of the set. I suppose I just didn't see the point to do it otherwise. Sure, it's a violation, but missing everything on the first free throw (or second of three) results the same as simply missing the shot (double violations notwithstanding).

For everyone, free-throw shooter misses everything, but he has at least one more coming. Tweet or no tweet?
2.4.1.C.1. - "For a free-throw violation by the free thrower or a teammate, follow the same procedure as for a floor violation if no other free throw is to follow." That seems to indicate that a whistle is not necessary in your sitch. Since there is another free throw to follow, the "same procedure", for example a whistle, isn't needed.
We don't do it here.
Sound sound?

(Disclaimer: Not all officials on this forum belong to state or local associations that follow the Officials' Manual, so don't be surprised if a differing opinion surfaces forthwith.)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper1 View Post
no tweet from me in that sitch.
+1
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nope
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

I don't sound my whistle, but I do pull out my smartphone and login into twitter.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
With the Majority Here

I don't either.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If an official sounded the whistle, but didn't say anything, he'd look like a tool.

If an official sounded the whistle, and said, "violation - ball didn't hit the rim", people would think "Thanks Captain Obvious" - and people would think the official is a tool.

So conclusion: don't sound the whistle.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 05:46am. Reason: Ooops
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If an official sounded the whistle, but didn't say anything, he'd look like a tool.

If an official sounded the whistle, and said, "violation - ball didn't hit the rim", people would think "Thanks Captain Obvious" - and people would think the official is a tool.

So conclusion: don't say anything.
Maybe he's a plumber????
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Tweet, Tweet Tweet, Tweet Tweet ...

I'm not singing "like the birdies sing" here either. Nor am I going to "warble like nightingales". So I guess that I won't be giving my "throat a treat".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't sound my whistle, but I do pull out my smartphone and login into twitter.
What do you type? "Just saw a free throw violation, LOL!!!!"

I would not blow a whistle in this situation, just announce the violation unless it was obvious to all.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:43am
This IS My Social Life

Better to Burn Out Than It Is to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Maybe he's a plumber????
No. One of those already responded in reply #4 and said he wouldn't tweet.
Maybe he's a developer of online officials association management solutions?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Bringing Undo Attention to Yourself.......

Quote:

So conclusion: don't sound the whistle.
I used to blow the whistle, apparently more than many, when putting the ball in play. It was emphasized to me to only use the whistle in certain situations (coming out off time outs, long delays, etc.) and that by "overly" tweeting I was bringing too much attention to myself and I should stop. I did.

This is another instance of that IMO.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Could the whistle have been for the sub at the table?