The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Kansas at Texas Tech - Interesting first half

Not sure if anyone else saw the first half of the KU/Texas Tech game last night. Gillispie, the TT HC got whacked about 10 minutes into the game after they showed one of the officials giving him a warning. Of course when they warned him he put on a big smarta** smirk and starting laughing.

A few minutes later, one of the TT players reached across the endline after a made basket. Tom Eades, who was the new Trail, initially gave him a technical because I assumed he had touched the ball. (The KU player fell down) A couple of minutes later, the broadcasters said that he had gotten a Flagrant 1 for fouling the thrower while he was OOB. Is the NCAA rule a Flagrant 1 instead of INT like Fed rules?

Then to top it all off, the same TT player threw a punch at a KU player after a made basket a few minutes later. They had been jockeying for position for the rebound, and as the ball went in, he turned around and swung at him. You couldn't tell how much contact he made, but he did make contact. They called a foul then reviewed it and gave him a Flagrant 2 and sent him packing.

Not sure if there is video, but someone might be able to find it.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Is the NCAA rule a Flagrant 1 instead of INT like Fed rules?
It's just a name change. The old INT is now called F1; the old Flagrant is now called F2.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's just a name change. The old INT is now called F1; the old Flagrant is now called F2.
I knew they had changed the terminology, but wasn't sure how the new Flagrants compared to the INT or Flagrant from the past.

The ESPN article says Eades gave him a T for touching the ball OOB. I looked at the box score to see if it was a T, but it doesn't even list Gillispie's technical, so who knows.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I knew they had changed the terminology, but wasn't sure how the new Flagrants compared to the INT or Flagrant from the past.

The ESPN article says Eades gave him a T for touching the ball OOB. I looked at the box score to see if it was a T, but it doesn't even list Gillispie's technical, so who knows.
The boxscores always list the coach's T as a Team technical.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:54am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

I started watching late. However, during the broadcast they said a technical (coach), F1 (player), and F2 (player) were called.

I saw the F2... no doubt, easy call.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gillispie, the TT HC got whacked about 10 minutes into the game after they showed one of the officials giving him a warning. Of course when they warned him he put on a big smarta** smirk and starting laughing.
The broadcasters said Gillispie said "whatever" with a $hiteating smirk after the warning.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I started watching late. However, during the broadcast they said a technical (coach), F1 (player), and F2 (player) were called.

I saw the F2... no doubt, easy call.
Thanks. Yeah, the F2 was an easy one, especially with replay. The guy was just asking to get booted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
The broadcasters said Gillispie said "whatever" with a $hiteating smirk after the warning.
I do remember him saying that now. So classy.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I live 100 miles from TTU and I can say the conduct of Gillespie comes across as a little smart aleck...