The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tweet or no tweet? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85644-tweet-no-tweet.html)

bainsey Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:53pm

Tweet or no tweet?

While watching a varsity game after the JV one I worked, something occurred to me that I never do, because I didn't think it was necessary.

During the varsity game: first of two free throws, shooter misses everything. Tweet.

It suddenly dawned on me that the only time, as the trail, I blow the whistle on such no-rim-touched violations is on the last free throw of the set. I suppose I just didn't see the point to do it otherwise. Sure, it's a violation, but missing everything on the first free throw (or second of three) results the same as simply missing the shot (double violations notwithstanding).

For everyone, free-throw shooter misses everything, but he has at least one more coming. Tweet or no tweet?

JRutledge Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02am

Probably no, but never thought about it unless the ball is going to be live. Maybe the official forgot the situation.

Peace

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:05am

No tweet from me in that sitch.

Freddy Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:06am

From the Officials' Manual . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 812476)
While watching a varsity game after the JV one I worked, something occurred to me that I never do, because I didn't think it was necessary.

During the varsity game: first of two free throws, shooter misses everything. Tweet.

It suddenly dawned on me that the only time, as the trail, I blow the whistle on such no-rim-touched violations is on the last free throw of the set. I suppose I just didn't see the point to do it otherwise. Sure, it's a violation, but missing everything on the first free throw (or second of three) results the same as simply missing the shot (double violations notwithstanding).

For everyone, free-throw shooter misses everything, but he has at least one more coming. Tweet or no tweet?

2.4.1.C.1. - "For a free-throw violation by the free thrower or a teammate, follow the same procedure as for a floor violation if no other free throw is to follow." That seems to indicate that a whistle is not necessary in your sitch. Since there is another free throw to follow, the "same procedure", for example a whistle, isn't needed.
We don't do it here.
Sound sound?

(Disclaimer: Not all officials on this forum belong to state or local associations that follow the Officials' Manual, so don't be surprised if a differing opinion surfaces forthwith.)

Loudwhistle2 Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapper1 (Post 812484)
no tweet from me in that sitch.

+1

Adam Thu Jan 12, 2012 01:12am

Nope

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 12, 2012 05:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 812476)

I don't sound my whistle, but I do pull out my smartphone and login into twitter. :eek:

grunewar Thu Jan 12, 2012 05:08am

With the Majority Here

I don't either.

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 12, 2012 05:20am

If an official sounded the whistle, but didn't say anything, he'd look like a tool.

If an official sounded the whistle, and said, "violation - ball didn't hit the rim", people would think "Thanks Captain Obvious" - and people would think the official is a tool.

So conclusion: don't sound the whistle. :p

Camron Rust Thu Jan 12, 2012 05:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 812522)
If an official sounded the whistle, but didn't say anything, he'd look like a tool.

If an official sounded the whistle, and said, "violation - ball didn't hit the rim", people would think "Thanks Captain Obvious" - and people would think the official is a tool.

So conclusion: don't say anything. :p

Maybe he's a plumber????

BillyMac Thu Jan 12, 2012 07:24am

No Tweet, Tweet Tweet, Tweet Tweet ...

I'm not singing "like the birdies sing" here either. Nor am I going to "warble like nightingales". So I guess that I won't be giving my "throat a treat".

Moosie74 Thu Jan 12, 2012 08:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 812518)
I don't sound my whistle, but I do pull out my smartphone and login into twitter. :eek:

What do you type? "Just saw a free throw violation, LOL!!!!"

I would not blow a whistle in this situation, just announce the violation unless it was obvious to all.

Freddy Thu Jan 12, 2012 08:43am

Better to Burn Out Than It Is to Rust

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 812523)
Maybe he's a plumber????

No. One of those already responded in reply #4 and said he wouldn't tweet.
Maybe he's a developer of online officials association management solutions? :D

grunewar Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30am

Bringing Undo Attention to Yourself.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 812522)

So conclusion: don't sound the whistle. :p

I used to blow the whistle, apparently more than many, when putting the ball in play. It was emphasized to me to only use the whistle in certain situations (coming out off time outs, long delays, etc.) and that by "overly" tweeting I was bringing too much attention to myself and I should stop. I did.

This is another instance of that IMO.

tref Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:35am

Could the whistle have been for the sub at the table?