View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:06am
This IS My Social Life

From the Officials' Manual . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
While watching a varsity game after the JV one I worked, something occurred to me that I never do, because I didn't think it was necessary.

During the varsity game: first of two free throws, shooter misses everything. Tweet.

It suddenly dawned on me that the only time, as the trail, I blow the whistle on such no-rim-touched violations is on the last free throw of the set. I suppose I just didn't see the point to do it otherwise. Sure, it's a violation, but missing everything on the first free throw (or second of three) results the same as simply missing the shot (double violations notwithstanding).

For everyone, free-throw shooter misses everything, but he has at least one more coming. Tweet or no tweet?
2.4.1.C.1. - "For a free-throw violation by the free thrower or a teammate, follow the same procedure as for a floor violation if no other free throw is to follow." That seems to indicate that a whistle is not necessary in your sitch. Since there is another free throw to follow, the "same procedure", for example a whistle, isn't needed.
We don't do it here.
Sound sound?

(Disclaimer: Not all officials on this forum belong to state or local associations that follow the Officials' Manual, so don't be surprised if a differing opinion surfaces forthwith.)