The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
"The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association has reviewed the incident, and is satisfied with how the school districts and local officials group handled the situation."

Doesn't really tell us much. It would be nice to learn about how the local association did handle it, but I wouldn't expect that to be made public. Anyone here close to this area? Were there ANY disciplinary actions on the officials at all?
I know several officials in that association and have heard quite a bit. There is really nothing the State can do. Bad officiating and judgment is not a hangable offense, and local control takes precedence. Nothing was done by their association at all. Leadership said, "We all saw the video. No need to talk about it.". And they did not. They did assign two of the officials to playoff games. But they told the State they would deal with it, so what else can they say? That association used to be great and develop officials like Dick Cartmell, but for some reason the great ones walked away en masse a few years ago and it has really gone downhill quickly. Those officials would have been removed from Varsity ball for the remainder of the year in our group.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I know several officials in that association and have heard quite a bit. There is really nothing the State can do. Bad officiating and judgment is not a hangable offense, and local control takes precedence. Nothing was done by their association at all. Leadership said, "We all saw the video. No need to talk about it.". And they did not. They did assign two of the officials to playoff games. But they told the State they would deal with it, so what else can they say? That association used to be great and develop officials like Dick Cartmell, but for some reason the great ones walked away en masse a few years ago and it has really gone downhill quickly. Those officials would have been removed from Varsity ball for the remainder of the year in our group.
Your organization would have removed officials from games based on a produced and edited video put on YouTube?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Your organization would have removed officials from games based on a produced and edited video put on YouTube?

Peace
Associations in our area don't assign games but based on the video alone, I think most assigners would have some consequences for the crew..IMO.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
The association can get the full video if need be.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:23am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If high school associations start removing officials for every game they screw up or rule they get wrong, they may well end up not having anybody left!!!
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sure, but Proto didn't say anything about having the full video and made a declarative statement about what his association would have done based, as far as we know, on the edited video we've all seen.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is one thing if they get the entire video, but I would hope not based on a Youtube bias video they would not. I could see future games being reconsidered and maybe the type of games for the officials in the future as well, but not taking them off their schedule that season without some review of other aspects of that game. And certainly not from a video where many people cannot even agree on what should have been called.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wow. On the clothesline, 34 is gone and nothing more from him occurs. The illegal screen could have been whistled to halt play earlier, but this kid was intent on doing damage no matter what.
The two handed shove beyond the arc is at minimum an IF. Not all are flagrant as many have pointed out, but if these are mostly in the first half, it appears nothing much was said at HT. Players can develop reputations, for example, I will mention a hothead pre-game if I recall earlier games I have had with that particular team. 34 certainly did not all of a sudden turn into a thug.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sure, but Proto didn't say anything about having the full video and made a declarative statement about what his association would have done based, as far as we know, on the edited video we've all seen.
Many in the "victim" school's association saw more of the video. Doesn't really matter. All you'd see is poor positioning and no other brutal fouls. Somebody asked whether anything at all was dine about it. Associations all over the country used this as an example of poor officiating and what not to do. The Association that assigned these officials defended it, and did nothing regarding it or about it. They assigned post season games to two of them. My association sets standards and holds Varsity guys accountable for judgment, mechanics, and professionalism. Many do not, which is pretty sad.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

High. Horse. Hard. To. Breathe.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Many in the "victim" school's association saw more of the video. Doesn't really matter. All you'd see is poor positioning and no other brutal fouls. Somebody asked whether anything at all was dine about it. Associations all over the country used this as an example of poor officiating and what not to do. The Association that assigned these officials defended it, and did nothing regarding it or about it. They assigned post season games to two of them. My association sets standards and holds Varsity guys accountable for judgment, mechanics, and professionalism. Many do not, which is pretty sad.
A couple things need to be put into perspective. This is HS sports we are talking about. Even though I may not like the way the officials handled the situation with more than things than what was not called, I think it is a little silly to act like officials have to be reprimanded for a produced video. And I cannot blame all 3 officials for every call that was showed. We can always pull plays out of the a film and claim something was wrong. And just because they did not suspend the officials does not mean they did not do something about it. Maybe, just maybe they saw the entire video and had some other opinions about the game. Actually many of the plays were not flagrant and in some cases no more than common fouls. I think the official's background could mean something as well like it does in many other situations.

I guess I just love it when people come from an outside view and automatically think the officials should be suspended. As stated if we questioned every video and made decisions based on a produced video, you would not have many HS officials able to work games.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I know that if I was responsible for hiring these officials, I'd get the whole game video and base any decisions on that. I wouldn't turn a blind eye.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even though I may not like the way the officials handled the situation with more than things than what was not called, I think it is a little silly to act like officials have to be reprimanded for a produced video.
Peace

Produced or not, I don't think I'd have a different view of any of those plays in the context of the entire game. They grossly under-called overly physical, non-basketball, plays. Not sure what other parts of the game might reveal that would be of interest...maybe more stuff they missed perhaps.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Produced or not, I don't think I'd have a different view of any of those plays in the context of the entire game. They grossly under-called overly physical, non-basketball, plays. Not sure what other parts of the game might reveal that would be of interest...maybe more stuff they missed perhaps.
If you are going to "take action" against the officials I would hope there was a bigger context looked at than a couple of plays.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Just took a look at another website that showed the red team is 3-14 and the white team is 2-15. Many of the team scores were in the 30s for the white team. Not a lot of skill has been demonstrated.

Also, another article was published that indicates the two white team players have been threatened in cyberspace. youtube has only one angle of course, but certainly there was a lack of fortitude exercised by the crew from what was shown. A relative of a red team member apparently shot the video. It may have been mentioned, but I did not read all one gazillion pages of this thread.