The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should local assoc set a uniform shirt standard?
Yes 28 51.85%
No 26 48.15%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
We are expected to wear shirts with no side panel. No patches (other than an American flag, which is optional and placed on the sleeve) are allowed or expected. I have some issues with WI being behind the times (especially in how they handled the whole 3-person officiating thing), but they're spot on by not requiring patches on shirts.
I've chided you before on no patches(patches? we don't need no stinkin' patches)

I prefer one simple small state patch on sleeve, it shows you're legit. No patch to me implies I work at footlocker.

2 man and no patch? At least you have Zigs and the Packers.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rookie Hazing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I prefer one simple small state patch on sleeve, it shows you're legit. No patch to me implies I work at footlocker.
Guys, and gals, who pass the written test, and the floor test, in the November, work without an IAABO patch throughout their first season. They don't get their IAABO patch until our business meeting in March. Some coaches, and fans, know this and will make comments about rookie mistakes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I've chided you before on no patches(patches? we don't need no stinkin' patches)

I went to the Badgers game yesterday and I didn't see a patch. I'm certain those guys are legit.

When I work a HS varsity game or a junior college game, I don't think anyone has any problem whatsoever understanding that we're there to work a game and not sell shoes.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 10:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Ref, Do You Have These Nike's In A Size 11 ???

Quote:
I don't think anyone has any problem whatsoever understanding that we're there to work a game and not sell shoes.
Then why do fans keep asking me if I like working at Footlocker?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I prefer one simple small state patch on sleeve, it shows you're legit.
How?

Honig's, GD, et al, don't ask me for my IHSA number before I order a shirt.

You can take the test once, get a patch, and then never take a test / go to a meeting again. That's hardly legit.

I'm certain that someone could get a patch "from a friend" without ever taking a test / registering with the IHSA.

Schools and assigners know that only IHSA registered officials are to be used. Most (well, mnay) assigners check. That's the control -- not a stupid piece of stichery.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

But They Never Ask Me For A Photo ID ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Honig's ... don't ask me for my IHSA number before I order a shirt. You can take the test once, get a patch, and then never take a test / go to a meeting again.
I can't verify that this is true, but our rookies are told every year that they must wait until their names are sent from our local IAABO board secretary to Honigs before they can order a shirt, with an IAABO patch, from Honigs. I have never purchased anything online from Honigs, but whenever I purchase a shirt, in person, they ask me for my name, and check it against some type of online database. Maybe it's all smoke, and mirrors, but there appears to be some form of accountability, at least with Honigs, and IAABO,

Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Partially true. I believe just one supplier chose to have two position embroidery of same logo on same side of shirt, which is pretty silly. Most suppliers have left sleeve logo. IMHO other shirt looks like something out of nascar.
Actually what happened is that IHSA allowed the patches to be put on with a particular company after they had an exclusive contract to be the "official supplier" for the IHSA. That particular company came up with the chest patch I am sure with the approval of the IHSA and that is how that entire thing started. They never required all officials to have the same shirt from day one. The problem like anything people who are not around at certain events assume or do not hear what was discussed and keep putting out incorrect information. It happens all the time and certainly not just in our state I am sure.

Quote:
How?

You can take the test once, get a patch, and then never take a test / go to a meeting again. That's hardly legit.

I'm certain that someone could get a patch "from a friend" without ever taking a test / registering with the IHSA.

Schools and assigners know that only IHSA registered officials are to be used. Most (well, mnay) assigners check. That's the control -- not a stupid piece of stichery.
I agree, but when we work other levels that require us to have IHSA officials, they think we are not licensed to officiate. So you both are right, you can get those from other means that have nothing to do with following all the standards, but it does show a lack standards if you do not wear one. Not saying it is right or just, but that is what people often think.

Quote:
I went to the Badgers game yesterday and I didn't see a patch. I'm certain those guys are legit.

When I work a HS varsity game or a junior college game, I don't think anyone has any problem whatsoever understanding that we're there to work a game and not sell shoes.
There is a big difference between a state patch and working a college game. For one if you do not wear the right uniforms you will stand out like a very sore thumb. And there are not as many officials either at that level working so what makes you legit is not a patch, it is how you are on the game in the first place (at least in my experience). Coaches know who assigns games at that level a lot more than they do at the HS level sometimes.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How?

JR beat me to the punch. Perception is reality, you're not wearing a patched shirt and first thought is your not licensed. I see at aau ball and kids games. Of course anyone can obtain a patch or patched shirt and not be licensed as you mentioned.

Just bar talk, I happen to like our logo and am proud to wear it. If we didn't have one not a big deal.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
JR beat me to the punch. Perception is reality, you're not wearing a patched shirt and first thought is your not licensed. I see at aau ball and kids games. Of course anyone can obtain a patch or patched shirt and not be licensed as you mentioned.

Just bar talk, I happen to like our logo and am proud to wear it. If we didn't have one not a big deal.
Depends on if you're used to the patch meaning something. Up here we've never worn one, so there's no expectation that an official would have one on.

To me, it's just *another* expense.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Depends on if you're used to the patch meaning something. Up here we've never worn one, so there's no expectation that an official would have one on.

I do not think he is talking about places that do not have them. If you are not required to wear a patch then this is probably not a big deal at all. But if you do not wear one here you stand out. I have seen officials get heckled around her for not having one even though the game did not require one to be worn.

Also not much expense when they send them to us. And they are only a dollar.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are your jackets logoed? Some guys in our area have pins, logos, flags, associations on their jackets of which I'm not a big fan, just me.

Do D1 officials have logoed jackets? I noticed logoed shirts but probably just for tourney.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Are your jackets logoed? Some guys in our area have pins, logos, flags, associations on their jackets of which I'm not a big fan, just me.

Do D1 officials have logoed jackets? I noticed logoed shirts but probably just for tourney.
An association or state logo is allowed on the jacket. I wear a plain, black jacket for HS games.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The CCA jacket has the CCA logo on them, which is required at all college levels. I have yet to see anyone put a pin or anything on them like you see in HS. I would not even think to do that considering a HS association has nothing to do with college assignments.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
An association logo is expected on our jacket.
There, fixed it for me.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 05:42pm
Back from the DL

I voted yes, but I probably misunderstood. I took "local" to be in the same spirit as "state."

Just the same, it's all about the same page. Our state commission calls for the grays with black pinstripes and IAABO logo. The only time I wear black-and-white stripes is for a non-IAABO assignment, and my partner is wearing the same.