The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question Player Control Push

In a game in which I was the R, one of my U's called a foul while in front of the table. The other U became confused and asked the calling U what the call was. By the time I got to the table they had cleared up their misunderstandings. Here is what I was told:

When there is a "Player-Control Push" you could have foul shots.

After the game, I said it's very simple. When you call either a player-control or team-control foul, no foul shots. Keep it simple. If you think the foul warrants free throws, then report something else, but no foul shots for player or team control.

Believe it or not, both guys disagreed and said that if the foul had been a "player-control push" there would have been foul shots.

This is a new one on me and I am certain I am correct. Were they using different terminology? Your thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA-M if one releases the shot & then crashes into the defender we count the basket & if the defense is in the bonus, FTs are due.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

This is for High School ball. You know, NFHS, NOT NCAA.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverz View Post
In a game in which I was the R, one of my U's called a foul while in front of the table. The other U became confused and asked the calling U what the call was. By the time I got to the table they had cleared up their misunderstandings. Here is what I was told:

After the game, I said it's very simple. When you call either a player-control or team-control foul, no foul shots. Keep it simple. If you think the foul warrants free throws, then report something else, but no foul shots for player or team control.

Believe it or not, both guys disagreed and said that if the foul had been a "player-control push" there would have been foul shots.

This is a new one on me and I am certain I am correct. Were they using different terminology? Your thoughts?
The only thing I can think of is a push during a rebounding situation, but that doesn't fit your description at all.

So for Fed rules, no shots for Team control or Player control.

And tell your partners to stop making up their own terminology. The rule book has plenty.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Right! NO foul shots for player or team control. I don't know what they were thinking about, but obviously they will be making wrong calls for games to come.
Had they tried to give foul shots for this particular foul, I would have stopped it.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is for High School ball. You know, NFHS, NOT NCAA.
Hey, you had the question, I just tried to give your partners -errrr- your U's an out.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right! NO foul shots for player or team control. I don't know what they were thinking about, but obviously they will be making wrong calls for games to come.
Had they tried to give foul shots for this particular foul, I would have stopped it.
10-6-11 is your citation.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Here is my thoughts...

...just curious...was this a H.S. Varsity game?

If so...those U's need to get out more.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Part of being a leader is sharing knowledge by providing rules/caseplays for clarification following the contest.

Quote:
Had a sitch last year where A1s pass to A3 was tipped high in the air & A3 fouled B3 to retieve the ball. I'm the R & not involved on this play. My U1
-errr- the U1 called it & said 1 & 1. I intercept him to explain that I saw this as a t/c situation, the 99 comes in & sides with the U1, they shot FTs anyway. At the end of the day the only thing that mattered was that my boss saw me on tape providing the 411. Sometimes that is all one can do...

Last edited by tref; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 05:22pm.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quite simply, they're making things up. I'd reference the definition of a player control foul and then when shots are taken if it will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
the 99
The who?

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 05:49pm.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Quite simply, they're making things up. I'd reference the definition of a player control foul and then when shots are taken if it will help.

The who?
I believe that's a fond method of referring to the U2.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
In NCAA-M if one releases the shot & then crashes into the defender we count the basket & if the defense is in the bonus, FTs are due.
This is true, but even in that situation, it's not a "Player Control" push. Once the try is released, there is neither player nor team control, which is why we might shoot bonus free throws.

But in the original situation, the officials were discussing a "player control" push. If there is player control or team control, then there are never free throws for a common foul by the team in control.

I know you were trying to give those officials an "out", but even if that's what they were thinking, they were still wrong!
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can't say I've ever had one partner think that, let alone two in the same game.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

The only "out" these guys might have is an Intentional foul, but the characterization of the action as a "player-control push" doesn't seem to meet the criteria for an Intentional foul.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I can't say I've ever had one partner think that, let alone two in the same game.
+1 For 2 out of 3 officials getting a BB fundamental wrong is sort of rare.