The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player Control Push (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85171-player-control-push.html)

Steverz Wed Dec 28, 2011 04:56pm

Player Control Push

In a game in which I was the R, one of my U's called a foul while in front of the table. The other U became confused and asked the calling U what the call was. By the time I got to the table they had cleared up their misunderstandings. Here is what I was told:

When there is a "Player-Control Push" you could have foul shots.

After the game, I said it's very simple. When you call either a player-control or team-control foul, no foul shots. Keep it simple. If you think the foul warrants free throws, then report something else, but no foul shots for player or team control.

Believe it or not, both guys disagreed and said that if the foul had been a "player-control push" there would have been foul shots.

This is a new one on me and I am certain I am correct. Were they using different terminology? Your thoughts?

tref Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:00pm

In NCAA-M if one releases the shot & then crashes into the defender we count the basket & if the defense is in the bonus, FTs are due.

Steverz Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:08pm

This is for High School ball. You know, NFHS, NOT NCAA.

Toren Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverz (Post 808912)
In a game in which I was the R, one of my U's called a foul while in front of the table. The other U became confused and asked the calling U what the call was. By the time I got to the table they had cleared up their misunderstandings. Here is what I was told:

After the game, I said it's very simple. When you call either a player-control or team-control foul, no foul shots. Keep it simple. If you think the foul warrants free throws, then report something else, but no foul shots for player or team control.

Believe it or not, both guys disagreed and said that if the foul had been a "player-control push" there would have been foul shots.

This is a new one on me and I am certain I am correct. Were they using different terminology? Your thoughts?

The only thing I can think of is a push during a rebounding situation, but that doesn't fit your description at all.

So for Fed rules, no shots for Team control or Player control.

And tell your partners to stop making up their own terminology. The rule book has plenty.

Steverz Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:12pm

Right! NO foul shots for player or team control. I don't know what they were thinking about, but obviously they will be making wrong calls for games to come.
Had they tried to give foul shots for this particular foul, I would have stopped it.

tref Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverz (Post 808916)
This is for High School ball. You know, NFHS, NOT NCAA.

Hey, you had the question, I just tried to give your partners -errrr- your U's an out.

Toren Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverz (Post 808918)
Right! NO foul shots for player or team control. I don't know what they were thinking about, but obviously they will be making wrong calls for games to come.
Had they tried to give foul shots for this particular foul, I would have stopped it.

10-6-11 is your citation.

RookieDude Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverz (Post 808912)

Here is my thoughts...

...just curious...was this a H.S. Varsity game?

If so...those U's need to get out more.;)

tref Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:20pm

Quote:

Part of being a leader is sharing knowledge by providing rules/caseplays for clarification following the contest.

Quote:

Had a sitch last year where A1s pass to A3 was tipped high in the air & A3 fouled B3 to retieve the ball. I'm the R & not involved on this play. My U1
-errr- the U1 called it & said 1 & 1. I intercept him to explain that I saw this as a t/c situation, the 99 comes in & sides with the U1, they shot FTs anyway. At the end of the day the only thing that mattered was that my boss saw me on tape providing the 411. Sometimes that is all one can do...

Welpe Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:47pm

Quite simply, they're making things up. I'd reference the definition of a player control foul and then when shots are taken if it will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 808922)
the 99

The who?

Toren Wed Dec 28, 2011 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 808928)
Quite simply, they're making things up. I'd reference the definition of a player control foul and then when shots are taken if it will help.

The who?

I believe that's a fond method of referring to the U2.

Scrapper1 Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 808915)
In NCAA-M if one releases the shot & then crashes into the defender we count the basket & if the defense is in the bonus, FTs are due.

This is true, but even in that situation, it's not a "Player Control" push. Once the try is released, there is neither player nor team control, which is why we might shoot bonus free throws.

But in the original situation, the officials were discussing a "player control" push. If there is player control or team control, then there are never free throws for a common foul by the team in control.

I know you were trying to give those officials an "out", but even if that's what they were thinking, they were still wrong!

Adam Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:19pm

I can't say I've ever had one partner think that, let alone two in the same game.

Rob1968 Thu Dec 29, 2011 03:45am

The only "out" these guys might have is an Intentional foul, but the characterization of the action as a "player-control push" doesn't seem to meet the criteria for an Intentional foul.

Indianaref Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808953)
I can't say I've ever had one partner think that, let alone two in the same game.

+1 For 2 out of 3 officials getting a BB fundamental wrong is sort of rare.