The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charging vs. Player control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85166-charging-vs-player-control.html)

Adam Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 809511)
This is like seeing magnesium being dumped in a swimming pool.

For some

refiator Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 809117)
using the hand behind the head associated with the commonly known charge.

Since the Team Control signal was implemented, I haven't seen that used in a while (at least in these parts).......Not taking away from its being an approved signal, just don't see it anymore.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 06:46am

Blarge ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 809499)
The case doesn't contain the words player control.

Because it's a double foul. If the other official didn't call a block, then it would have been a player control foul.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 06:50am

Player Control Charging Foul ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 809514)
Since the Team Control signal was implemented, I haven't seen that used in a while.

Many officials around here will use the team control foul signal, and only the team control foul signal, for a player control charging foul. By the manual, it's probably incorrect, but it seems to be an "accepted", but not "approved", alternative around here.

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 31, 2011 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 809514)
Since the Team Control signal was implemented, I haven't seen that used in a while (at least in these parts).......Not taking away from its being an approved signal, just don't see it anymore.

Player control and Team Control signals are the same behind-the-head signal in Ohio.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:01pm

How Long Has This Been Going On ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 809562)
Player control and Team Control signals are the same behind-the-head signal in Ohio.

So, an offensive player, without the ball, sets an illegal screen, and the official comes up with a behind-the-head signal?

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:17pm

The way they want it is the normal foul signal then come down to the behind the head signal.

just another ref Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 809676)
The way they want it is the normal foul signal then come down to the behind the head signal.

We assume by normal foul signal you mean a fist in the air. And you are instructed to use the hand behind the head for all fouls on the offense?

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:32pm

Yes. The PC signal is the TC signal in Ohio. The TC signal in the NFHS manual does not exist here.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:36pm

When In Ohio ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 809682)
The PC signal is the TC signal in Ohio. The TC signal in the NFHS manual does not exist here.

Thanks. I didn't know that Ohio was in The Matrix.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:41pm

Wrong Metal ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 809511)
This is like seeing magnesium being dumped in a swimming pool.

Did you mean to say Sodium, or Potassium?

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:45pm

When In Rome ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 809553)
Many officials around here will use the team control foul signal, and only the team control foul signal, for a player control charging foul. By the manual, it's probably incorrect, but it seems to be an "accepted", but not "approved", alternative around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 809680)
We assume by normal foul signal you mean a fist in the air.

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, the same guys that use the team control foul signal, and only the team control foul signal, for a player control charging foul, will also not usually precede this signal with a "stop the clock" fist.

just another ref Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 809682)
Yes. The PC signal is the TC signal in Ohio. The TC signal in the NFHS manual does not exist here.

This an exception mandated by the state, or your state publishes its own rule book?

It actually makes perfect sense. Why have two separate signals? So, in Ohio it doesn't matter whether he released the pass before the crash or not.

just another ref Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:50pm

I have a tell

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 809691)
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, the same guys that use the team control foul signal, and only the team control foul signal, for a player control charging foul, will also not usually precede this signal with a "stop the clock" fist.

I actually do the same thing most of the time, if the call is obvious to me, though I know this is not totally correct. If I go up with the fist first, then go to the PC signal, it gives me time to mentally flip a coin.

SNIPERBBB Sat Dec 31, 2011 03:53pm

Just a state mandate. They thought using the new signal would confuse people.