The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charging vs. Player control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85166-charging-vs-player-control.html)

Adam Fri Dec 30, 2011 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 809431)
Doesn't affect what I call at all. I was pointing out that incorrectly signaling a defensive "charge" with hand behind head signal could potentially confuse your partner, table crew, and/or coaches, let alone fans who are often confused anyhow.

And why would someone do that?

Hartsy Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 809432)
And why would someone do that?

I can't imagine anyone would, but part of the discussion was the defiition of "charging", which does not specify that only the dribbler can "charge". Many associate the hand behind head signal with a charge rather than player control. I was pointing out what confusion could ensue if the push signal was not used for a defensive charge.

Welpe Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:16pm

I think I'm confused now.

Adam Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 809433)
I can't imagine anyone would, but part of the discussion was the defiition of "charging", which does not specify that only the dribbler can "charge". Many associate the hand behind head signal with a charge rather than player control. I was pointing out what confusion could ensue if the push signal was not used for a defensive charge.

Many what? No official I know uses that signal for anything except PC.

Hartsy Fri Dec 30, 2011 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 809436)
Many what? No official I know uses that signal for anything except PC.

It wasn't directed at officials. We all should know better. It was a theoretical after acknowledging that it isn't only a dribbler who can charge, given the rulebook definition of that term.

BktBallRef Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 809434)
I think I'm confused now.

I know. My head hurts now.

There's no reason to use a PC signal for a defensive charging call.

There's no reason for any official to equate charging as an offense only foul.

As for signals, pushing or charging, the signal is the same. Signal #33.

just another ref Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 809433)

It would also be confusing if the travel signal was used when the ball went out of bounds.:rolleyes:

Maybe this helps. If one looks at the table of Official NFHS Signals, one will discover the signals for a push and a charge are.................the same signal.

just another ref Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:36pm

But what if one official signals a block and the other signals a player control foul, then what do we do?

BktBallRef Fri Dec 30, 2011 05:40pm

A hot mess.

BillyMac Fri Dec 30, 2011 06:41pm

It's The Infamous Blarge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 809462)
But what if one official signals a block and the other signals a player control foul, then what do we do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 809463)
A hot mess.

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

Scuba_ref Fri Dec 30, 2011 06:42pm

Or

Triple whistle for action at the freethrow line and halfway across the key - (not our finest example of 6 eyes on 10 players). Two fists and one open hand in the air - we all had something different. Can you guess what we went with? The winning call came out of the C position.

just another ref Fri Dec 30, 2011 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 809476)
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try

Thought the main point in this thread was that a charge and a player control foul are not the same thing.

BillyMac Fri Dec 30, 2011 07:13pm

Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut, Sometimes You Don't ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 809482)
Thought the main point in this thread was that a charge and a player control foul are not the same thing.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not.

just another ref Fri Dec 30, 2011 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 809488)
Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not.

Absolutely true. No one argues (do they) that the two are not necessarily the same.

So how do we possibly get from this

Quote:

What if one official signals a block and the other signals a player control foul, then what do we do?

to this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 809476)

The question doesn't contain the word charge.
The case doesn't contain the words player control.

Let alone obligation based on signals which may or may not mean the same thing.

Welpe Fri Dec 30, 2011 09:55pm

This is like seeing magnesium being dumped in a swimming pool.