The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 04:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Tournament Time?

I was wondering is in common in your areas to have Christmas Tournaments going on now? There are many around here that start both before and after Christmas.

One of the most fun times of year in my opinion.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 06:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I wouldn't call it "common," but we have several tournaments here the week after Christmas.

Looks like I'm working the "Bulldog Bash." Woof, woof!
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 07:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

There's a college around here that does a New Year tournament. They usually play Dec 31 and Jan 1. I have the late game on the 1st.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was wondering is in common in your areas to have Christmas Tournaments going on now? There are many around here that start both before and after Christmas.

Peace
Not uncommon here in Ohio. I'm working a boys tournament right before Christmas and a girls right after. I'm cautiously considering wearing a pair of Christmas socks: black with the image of green holly and red berries sewn in along with a red/white image of Santa. Also has a microchip that plays jingle bells but that doesn't work anymore. Most of it won't be visible. What do you think, should I go for it?

Merry Christmas!
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm working 3 games between Christmas and New Year's Day. All part of some tourney, which here in Wisconsin usually involves 4 teams playing 2 games each on 2 nights. Nothing like Illinois (when I was licensed there, it was mainly for these tourneys).
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm working 3 games between Christmas and New Year's Day. All part of some tourney, which here in Wisconsin usually involves 4 teams playing 2 games each on 2 nights. Nothing like Illinois (when I was licensed there, it was mainly for these tourneys).
PArt of the reason for the difference in tournaments is because of the way the states count / restrict number of games.

In WI, it's a flat number (18 or so, I think).

In IL, you can play up to 5 games in a "tournament" (that can extend over two weeks), and the "tournament" only counts as 1 game in the limit. So, a team could play 21 games (I think that's the limit) and no tournaments, or 18 games plus 3 tournaments = 33 games. (that's not the exact way it works -- the second tournament a team is in might count for 2 games).
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
PArt of the reason for the difference in tournaments is because of the way the states count / restrict number of games.

In WI, it's a flat number (18 or so, I think).

In IL, you can play up to 5 games in a "tournament" (that can extend over two weeks), and the "tournament" only counts as 1 game in the limit. So, a team could play 21 games (I think that's the limit) and no tournaments, or 18 games plus 3 tournaments = 33 games. (that's not the exact way it works -- the second tournament a team is in might count for 2 games).
We're up to 22 games, I think. But you're right about the limit. It would be nice to have more games to work over the holidays, but I have 3 each of the next two weeks, so that's not horrible, I guess.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
What would Christmas be without tournaments? Had 3 varsity games one day, all different sites last year......loved it
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

3 Tournaments

I have three tournaments. One before Christmas and two after. I also had two tournaments before Thanksgiving. Here in GA we partner with another association during these tournaments. If the tournament is at a school that has been assigned to us by GHSA then we get two slots and our partner association gets one. They reciprocate with their tournaments.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Here a tournament counts as 2 contests no matter the number of guaranteed games towards the limit of 20 allowable regular season games (not including the playoffs).There are several tournaments out here which start the Monday/Tuesday after Christmas.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Not uncommon here in Ohio. I'm working a boys tournament right before Christmas and a girls right after. I'm cautiously considering wearing a pair of Christmas socks: black with the image of green holly and red berries sewn in along with a red/white image of Santa. Also has a microchip that plays jingle bells but that doesn't work anymore. Most of it won't be visible. What do you think, should I go for it?

Merry Christmas!
If no one notices and your partners are into the fun, why not?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, I'm working several tournaments.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just love this time of year because it is like crack for basketball junkies. Fortunately I am blessed to work multiple times before and after Christmas in tournaments and after Christmas we work multiple games in a day. I get to hang out with friend and tell war stories in hospitality rooms and meet new and interesting people. Some in our area work multiple tournaments at different sites, but if you are privileged like I have been for the last 6 or 7 years, I get to work one major tournament at the same site for 3 or 4 days and then I work another well known tournament on the day be fore New Year's Eve. It is a great time with some travel involved, but I could not imagine this time of year without working basketball. And before I worked these tournaments, I used to go watch them. It is a lot better to work of course.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm working two games tonight in a Christmas tournament, then another couple later in the month for another tournament. Also worked a couple during a Thanksgiving gig.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

We have a ton of them out here but I'm not good enough for any of them yet.