The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

All's quiet here on the forum, so I'm glad to be heading out for Beaumont, TX...18U AFA National Qualifier. Looking forward to meeting Glen aka whiskers_ump, &/or aka papa smurf.

Great opportunity to get back around the game. I haven't called anything for six weeks! (Except for all those overhand OUTS at national school. It's the only time I can say for sure that I didn't miss a call...)

Sorry for all you Yankees(I used to be one), but this is one of the many bonuses for living in the warmer, southern part of the country.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Good Luck!!

To your daughters team I hope they play well and have a lots of fun. You are a lucky dog, with the warm weather I been wanting to get back to the ball fields myself the closest I will come this weekend is a basketball court I've got my second set of games 4th grade boys. Anyway let us know how your daughter team does and shake PaPa smurfs hand for me too. I know he will make all of his calls correct, you might look around for Joel too I wouldnt be suprised if he was hanging around.

P.S. dont forget to let me know when the local classes start I just dont trust Larry to get around to let me know

Have a good trip

Don
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
All's quiet here on the forum, so I'm glad to be heading out for Beaumont, TX...18U AFA National Qualifier. Looking forward to meeting Glen aka whiskers_ump, &/or aka papa smurf.

Great opportunity to get back around the game. I haven't called anything for six weeks! (Except for all those overhand OUTS at national school. It's the only time I can say for sure that I didn't miss a call...)

Sorry for all you Yankees(I used to be one), but this is one of the many bonuses for living in the warmer, southern part of the country.
Sorry, but that's not a bonus, it's a bore. Nothing like having all four season. Having spent living time in Delaware, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Canada, Delaware again, Florida again and back to Delaware, I'll stick with Delaware.

I find that the Mid-Atlantic area has the most diversified seasons even though it isn't always that pretty.

Besides, in parts of Texas, a river takes a turn and you may end up living in Mexico! d:-)

JMHO,

Mike
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Just finished shining four [4] pair of shoes. Looked for
LJ's but have'nt found them.

Don and Gary,

Tim should or will probably be there. So maybe you can
get him to show you around. He is from Beaumont, I am
not and he may not be working the field just watching.
Not sure if he converted over to AFA yet.

Gary, not sure where they putting me up yet. Have not
even seen schedule. Do know that I have 8:00 AM Sat,
Game. We usually two on, one off.

I am like Don, would not surprise me if Joel showed up.

Later,
glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Might be there if it were not for the horrible weather we have had on the coast...........

Oldest is playing Soccer for the Eastern District Championships this weekend........4 teams left.......the top 2 go to State........

This has been the longest soccer season ever............sigh.......

We will be in Pasadena the last weekend of January for an AFA 7 game guarantee tournament........

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Jan 12th, 2002 at 08:04 PM]
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Sorry, but that's not a bonus, it's a bore. Nothing like having all four season. Having spent living time in Delaware, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Canada, Delaware again, Florida again and back to Delaware, I'll stick with Delaware.

Besides, in parts of Texas, a river takes a turn and you may end up living in Mexico! d:-)

Mike,

The only season change I miss is autumn, the most gorgeous time of the year. (Except in most of Texas...It's goes from green straight to brown) I don't miss winter at all!! When I want snow I head to Utah or New Mexico to ski.

I paid for my boasting of heading out to a tournament. Coastal rain storm last night delayed a 9:40am game until 7:30 tonight. At least I was on the winning side, knocked off the USFA National Champ.

Poor Glen. He's still out there calling games, way late into the night. It was a real pleasure to meet whiskers. Super guy, good umpire. He appears to be an umpire who is out there for the right reasons.

By the way Mike, I try to stay away from THAT river.

[Edited by ntxblue on Jan 12th, 2002 at 11:10 PM]
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Mike,

The only season change I miss is autumn, the most gorgeous time of the year. (Except in most of Texas...It's goes from green straight to brown) I don't miss winter at all!! When I want snow I head to Utah or New Mexico to ski.

I paid for my boasting of heading out to a tournament. Coastal rain storm last night delayed a 9:40am game until 7:30 tonight. At least I was on the winning side, knocked off the USFA National Champ.

Poor Glen. He's still out there calling games, way late into the night. It was a real pleasure to meet whiskers. Super guy, good umpire. He appears to be an umpire who is out there for the right reasons.

By the way Mike, I try to stay away from THAT river.

[Edited by ntxblue on Jan 12th, 2002 at 11:10 PM] [/B]
Never done New Mexico, but I liked the Cottonwood Canyons outside SLC. Wasn't impressed with the skiing @ Park City, liked Solitude, stayed away from Brighton, but loved Snowbird and Alta.

Mike

Mike
Old Sun Jan 13, 2002, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Alta is my favorite. It's one of the few places left to ski that doesn't allow snowboards.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yankee yes, but....

While it is true the south has some wonderful advantages to weather. You still have the chance of rain. While here in the north if you do indoor ball it's a nice 72 degrees and no chance of snow or rain. Did a 16 & under tounament this past weekend under great indoor conditions. 22 teams, 52 straight hours of softball...A true softball junkies dream.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

The DD's team (Renee) started their travel team practice for
the 2002 season on 01/12/01. It rained--it was chilly, they practiced. Team practiced yesterday (sunny), but Renee did not go, she was too worn out from a spend the night party with about 7 girls. Of course, they stayed up nearly all night.
Mike was talking about 4 seasons, we have them in Atlanta
most years, so we're not like Texas.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Hey wait a minute

We have 4 season in Texas too and some times they are all in the same week. Cold, Warm, Hot & Hotter than Hell!! Just came in from working on my yard and yes I was using the lawn mower in Jan. What a life

Hey Gary how did the daughter team do in the tournament this weekend?? Did she get the pleasure of having PaPaSmurf call any of her games??

Have a good one guys

Don
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

Glen called two of the games we played. My daughter was catching so she got to know him pretty good. For kicks, I ask her what she thought of his strike zone. Said he was the best she's had all year!!(Remember this was her first tournament of the year.) Got a few pics but they didn't turn out to very good.

Her team was one game from qualifying for AFA nationals, then she got sick and couldn't play. While I was trying to "heal" her between games, I pulled out the article Dakota linked on a post - "Call your own game & don't vomit on the catcher." She didn't appreciate my bad attempt at humor in the situation.

She normally is the 2B and the backup catcher, but was the ONLY catcher that could make the trip to Beaumont. The left fielder came in to replace her, but despite the valiant attempt, they were unsuccessful. Lost 2-0, with both runs unearned, runners resulted from dropped third strikes.

Tim of national school fame was there also. He ended up calling in the younger division.

Glen is a good umpire. Good on and off of the field. My daughter enjoyed having him call the games as well as cutting up with him in the stands.

Larry and I are going to call fastpitch in Garland this year. They have the most league play with lots of teams/age groups. You should plan on coming out there with us. Meeting is coming up in a couple of weeks.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking New Photo's

Thanks to ntxblue........there are some new photos on the web-site........

Glen (AKA - whiskers_ump/papasmurff).......along with ntxblue's daughter......

come check it out...........

Be sure to sign the guestbook...........grin.

Joel
http://www.eteamz.com/sites/gcbumpire
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hey wait a minute

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
We have 4 season in Texas too and some times they are all in the same week. Cold, Warm, Hot & Hotter than Hell!! Just came in from working on my yard and yes I was using the lawn mower in Jan. What a life

Hey Gary how did the daughter team do in the tournament this weekend?? Did she get the pleasure of having PaPaSmurf call any of her games??

Have a good one guys

Don
I don't know if it was a pleasure for her, but I did call
from the plate position the game she was catching. That
was a pleasure for me. She took good care of me and we
had a good time chating. If I am not mistaken she started
the winning rally in that game. Come on Don, join up with
AFA, we need more good umpires. Gary has the names of the
right people to contact.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Glen,

I will be new to the fast-pitch ball this year so I am kinda hoping for guidance from Gary and a couple other fast-pitch umps I know to lead me in the right directions. I didnt realize there was AFA ball played up here in N. Texas so next time I get to see Gary at meeting hopefully he can fill me in. I do envy you guys getting to call games this time of the year I am getting bored something terrible and ready to get back on the fields. I have been doing some basketball calling which has been enjoyable but to me being on the ballfield outside it where I truly want to be

Don