The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Technical foul

If you start the extra period with a technical foul, 2 free throws and ball out of bounce, or do you jump it after the free throws. Rule number please.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
If you start the extra period with a technical foul, 2 free throws and ball out of bounce, or do you jump it after the free throws. Rule number please.
Any technical foul ends with a throw-in by the offended team.

Might wanna put some more air in the ball for the overtime.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Not exactly what you were looking for but the play says that overtime starts with the technical free throws, and all single T's carry the penalty of possession to the opponent at the division line opposite:

5.6.2 SITUATION C: The ball is in flight during a try by A1 when time for the fourth quarter or for any extra period expires. The try is successful to make the score: (a) A-60, B-60; or (b) A-61, B-60. Clearly after the ball becomes dead, A2 contacts B1. RULING: A technical foul is charged if contact during a dead ball is intentional or flagrant. If flagrant, it results in disqualification in addition to the free throws. In (a), an extra period is played and this extra period is started by administering the penalty for the technical foul. If this occurrence is after an extra period, the procedure is the same as after the fourth quarter. The next extra period starts with the penalty for the technical foul. In (b), the free throws are treated the same as if they were part of the preceding quarter or extra period. If only one free throw is successful, an extra period is played and the overtime period is started with a jump. If neither or if both free throws are successful, the game is ended. (5-6-2; Exception 3, 4; 7-5-6a; 10-3-7)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Any technical foul ends with a throw-in by the offended team.
...except for the one in part (b) of the case APG posted.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
Just to be thorough, it depends on whether the game is being played with NFHS rules or NCAA rules. In NCAA, it's possible to have a T to start the OT period and then have a jump ball. In NFHS, this is not possible.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Just to be thorough, it depends on whether the game is being played with NFHS rules or NCAA rules. In NCAA, it's possible to have a T to start the OT period and then have a jump ball. In NFHS, this is not possible.
Actually, it is possible.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
With a T?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
With a T?
Ahh, I was about to answer and then noticed your bolded part....LOL
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With a T?
With ONLY a single T, no.

But, since the arrow is not set until the subsequent throwin begins in the case of a T, other things can happen prior to the throwin that would result in a AP situation. So, you could start the OT with a T and still end up tossing up a jump ball.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
since the arrow is not set until the subsequent throwin begins in the case of a T, other things can happen prior to the throwin that would result in a AP situation. So, you could start the OT with a T and still end up tossing up a jump ball.
For the life of me, I can't think of how you could have a held ball between calling a T and the throw-in.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
For the life of me, I can't think of how you could have a held ball between calling a T and the throw-in.
I'm wondering the same thing.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing.
Actually, I can think of "held ball situations", but they all resume at the POI, which would be the throw-in for the original T.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I can think of "held ball situations", but they all resume at the POI, which would be the throw-in for the original T.
You're right, I got off the track I was thinking of when you sad "a" technical foul. All of the doubles/simultaneous go to POI....which is the throwin for the original single T.

What I was originally thinking was the case of a double T to start the OT in which case you'd have started the OT with a T (but no FTs) and would then have a jump ball.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Now, a big what-if just for the fun of it on a question that came to mind while considering this topic...

What if the team that is shooting the FTs for a T were to violate while the ball was live for the FTs for the technical foul....to start OT or at any other time.

It could be most any violation....FT violation, elbows, leaving the court, etc. I'm not suggesting these are likely occur or that you would necessarily call them. Just pick one for the sake of discussion.

Each possible violation includes possession to team B as part of the penalty unless there are more FT still due after a FT violation.

Does team A still get the throwin following the T? How is the violation penalized, if at all? Is team A's violation simply ignored or does team A forfeit the right to the throwin by committing a violation?

What if team A fouls while the ball is live (and you still deem in a common foul)? Team B is either in the bonus and is now due FTs or is due possession. If FTs, how is play resumed after B2's FTs? Is it the same as after any other FT...with players on the lane for B2's FTs and team A forfeited the right to the throwin after the T by fouling.

Does a foul/violation that occurs during the FT's for a T negate the possession part of a T and get penalized after the FTs.

What if the above violation was a double/simultaneous FT violation during the shots for the T? The penalty for that is to cancel the shot and go to the AP arrow. What if the arrow is not yet establshed? Did I just find a way to get to a jump ball after having a single T to start the OT?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 13, 2011 at 05:15pm.