The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Technical foul (GM/FLA)

Hard to listen to Nantz and Packer to figure out who got the technical(s) late in the game. Tony Skinn fouled Green and words were exchanged. The announcers said it was a double technical. But Skinn went to the line with no line-up and then Green went to the line with players on the line. I have to presume Green was the only one who got the technical; two free throws and point of interruption.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Yeah that's about right. Packer is still Moron King
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Packer is an idiot

What was Packer trying to say about "backing down"? Since when is backing down a foul?
Terrible explanation of the SINGLE technical.
Called for a player getting a "continuation" in opening minutes of LSU/UCLA game?
Hank Nichols should stick up for his guys with the CBS people. Packer makes officials sound bad when he is the one who is uninformed.

I know it's a well-worn subject, but I am losing my mind over it today.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Where is the guy with the priceless sign?

Oh, there he is.

http://www.ryankeefer.com/images/blo...lly-packer.jpg
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone see the call that Hightower missed slightly over two minutes into the LSU/UCLA game?

He's the lead, LSU guy driving the baseline and CLEARLY steps out of bounds on his way up to the rim. Hightower has his head straight up, looking and is too busy ball watching to see the no-brainer violation.

Some things never change.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy
Anyone see the call that Hightower missed slightly over two minutes into the LSU/UCLA game?

He's the lead, LSU guy driving the baseline and CLEARLY steps out of bounds on his way up to the rim. Hightower has his head straight up, looking and is too busy ball watching to see the no-brainer violation.

Wow! That's a great call.......from the comfort of your recliner!!!!!

Way to go, rook! Maybe you'll get a Final Four game next year!!

I guess you're so good that you've NEVER missed a player stepping OOB. Congratulations! We're all real impressed!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I agree with you about Packer.

I would rather listen to Bill Raftery (“kiss off the glass”, “looked pretty but they're not getting any dates - not finishing at the other end”, “gorgeous maneuver – Skinn to the chin”) on Westwood one radio.

Kevin Harlan does an excellent job with play-by-play and John Thompson was too laid back but added some very good commentary.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenThree
What was Packer trying to say about "backing down"? Since when is backing down a foul?
Terrible explanation of the SINGLE technical.
Called for a player getting a "continuation" in opening minutes of LSU/UCLA game?
Hank Nichols should stick up for his guys with the CBS people. Packer makes officials sound bad when he is the one who is uninformed.

I know it's a well-worn subject, but I am losing my mind over it today.
Try turn down the TV sound and or just listen in to Westwood One radio.

I feel they offer excellent broadcast over the radio.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap

Around here, we call it being "Felony Stupid".
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy

I saw the play as well and hit the instant replay button on my TIVO to confirm he stepped out of bounds. He did and was a pretty easy call with my remote with slo mo and pause. However, he was also refereeing the play and of course he was "ball watching" b/c the ball was IN HIS PRIMARY!

I have been at this for several years and am still trying to have the perfect game. It sounds like you have achieved the elusive perfect game and do so with regularity based on your comments.

As for Hightower, I will let his 12+/- Final Fours speak for themselves. He is obviously getting most of the calls right AND managing the game.

This is a forum for discussing plays, rules, game management, philosophy of officiating and interact within a community of other officials. It is OK to talk about plays that you see where you think a call/ play was missed (or called corretly) or whether or not you feel a game/ situation was managed correctly. That is where we learn.

It is NOT OK to openly criticize an official b/c you don't think they are any good or don't like them. This is unproductive and useless. Besides until you have worked the caliber of games that Mr. Hightower has I question your position to criticize.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I am glad that a T was only charged to the FL player and NOT to BOTH players. One of the things I'll take away from this season is that I HATE the double technical foul call (think Florida St @ Duke and U Wash vs UConn). Most of the time one of the players instigated the problem - why penalize both? Especially if it comes immediately after a foul - then you are DOUBLE penalizing one of the players.

I definitely plan to include this situation in my pre-games and how we will handle it. I'm sure others may think differently, but I want to make sure that we are on the same page as a crew.