The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Correctible Error

A1 is incorrectly given 1 free throw instead of 2. When A1 misses the first, A2 rebounds and is fouled in the act of shooting. It is then discovered that A1 should have shot 1 more free throw. How do we resume? Common sense tells me have A1 shoot the un-awarded free throw with the lane cleared, then bring everyone in for A2's 2 free throws. However, the rule seems to state that the foul on A2 would count, but play is resumed at A1's 2nd attempt. Am I reading this rule correctly?

2-10-6

If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a *merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:40pm
M.A.S.H.

You are correct.

A1 shoots their second free throw. Play is resumed at POI which is A2's first free throw.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

The correction is A1's FT attempt - one shot with the lanes cleared. POI is A2's FT attempts...resume play here with normal FT procedures. Is the way I read it.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
A1 is incorrectly given 1 free throw instead of 2. When A1 misses the first, A2 rebounds and is fouled in the act of shooting. It is then discovered that A1 should have shot 1 more free throw. How do we resume? Common sense tells me have A1 shoot the un-awarded free throw with the lane cleared, then bring everyone in for A2's 2 free throws. However, the rule seems to state that the foul on A2 would count, but play is resumed at A1's 2nd attempt. Am I reading this rule correctly?

2-10-6

If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a *merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).
You resume with A2's FTs. The assumption in the rule is that there are also no other infractions to be penalized.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
A2 rebounds and is fouled in the act of shooting.
If A2 had been fouled while rebounding (rather than while shooting) would the foul have been rescinded? I think so, but would like some confirmation from some esteemed Forum members.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If A2 had been fouled while rebounding (rather than while shooting) would the foul have been rescinded? I think so, but would like some confirmation from some esteemed Forum members.
the foul would NOT be rescinded. you would clear the lane and shoot A1's second FT. play would resume at the POI - which is after A2 was fouled - by Team A inbounding the ball at the nearest designated spot.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
the foul would NOT be rescinded. you would clear the lane and shoot A1's second FT. play would resume at the POI - which is after A2 was fouled - by Team A inbounding the ball at the nearest designated spot.
Incorrect. Since A retained possession the free throws would have been "live" so to speak unless Team A was in the bonus.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Merited ??? Unmerited ?? Big Difference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If A2 had been fouled while rebounding (rather than while shooting) would the foul have been rescinded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The foul would NOT be rescinded.
Thanks twocentsworth.

2-1-4: If the error is a free throw by the wrong player or at the wrong basket, or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls, shall be canceled.

It was not an unmerited free throw. It was a merited free throw.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)