The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Throw in/backboard

Ok, what am I missing? Varsity Girls.

Played 3 games this year and already had these 2 instances.

1) A1 throwing in under B basket. We are B in FC press. A1 hits the bottom of the backboard on the throw in and ball is secured off one bounce by B1 about 2 steps in front of the FT line.

2) A1 under A basket. A1 hits bottom of backboard and ball actually comes close to hitting the FT line elbow area on the first bounce before being recovered by A2.

Both plays were whistled dead for a throw in violation. First game, did not think anything of it. Last night when it happened, I asked R about it at halftime. He says on a throw in ALL sides of the backboard are OOB.

???????
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:26am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Ok, what am I missing? Varsity Girls.

Played 3 games this year and already had these 2 instances.

1) A1 throwing in under B basket. We are B in FC press. A1 hits the bottom of the backboard on the throw in and ball is secured off one bounce by B1 about 2 steps in front of the FT line.

2) A1 under A basket. A1 hits bottom of backboard and ball actually comes close to hitting the FT line elbow area on the first bounce before being recovered by A2.

Both plays were whistled dead for a throw in violation. First game, did not think anything of it. Last night when it happened, I asked R about it at halftime. He says on a throw in ALL sides of the backboard are OOB.

???????
7.1.2 Situation A
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
7.1.2 Situation A

I have no idea where my case book is....plus I am at work. Got time to whip it out on your keyboard?
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:35am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

I have no idea where my case book is....plus I am at work. Got time to whip it out on your keyboard?
7.1.2 Situation A: The ball strikes the side edge or top edge of the backboard or passes over the top of the backboard and the ball: (a) came from a throw-in from behind the plane of the backboard; or (b) from a pass or try from the front or back of the plane of the backboard. The does does not touch any supporting brace.

RULING: If a fan-shaped backboard is being used in (a) and (b), the ball remains live. If a rectangular backboard is used i (a), the ball remains live after touching the side edge, but it is a violation if it passes directly over the backboard. In (b), the ball remains live if it touches a side edge or the top edge if it rebounds and comes down in front of the backboard. The ball becomes dead if it passes over the top of the rectangular backboard regardless of the action which causes it to pass over pr whether it comes from the front or back of the place.

Whew, I'm tired.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Whew, I'm tired.
LOL...Thanks! So they should not have been called a violation. Thought there may have been something new I missed.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL...Thanks! So they should not have been called a violation. Thought there may have been something new I missed.
Nope, something old they missed.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had an IW on this the other day.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have had a couple of TI violations for actually hitting the back of the backboard in the past week.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 03:03pm
Back from the DL

I had a brain cramp last month and blew the whistle when the ball hit the bottom of the backboard on a backcourt throw-in. I immediately knew I erred, but forunately, thanks to the new team control rule on throw-ins, it went back to the throw-in team anyway.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Luck With This Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I had a brain cramp last month and blew the whistle when the ball hit the bottom of the backboard on a backcourt throw-in.
Always a tough call. As the administering official, while counting, and preparing for the release of the ball, you're observing the throwin player, watching for side to side movement outside the three foot "box", as well as watching for forward movement that may take the inbounder onto the court. You're also watching the defender that's usually defending the inbounder, watching for movement across the boundary plane. There may also be screening going on near the administering official, that may have to be watched as well. And of course, you're always preparing to chop in the clock when the inbounded ball is touched on the court. When the ball hits the bottom, or back, of the backboard, the best look the administering official may have is with his peripheral vision, and there will only be inches between a legal hit under the backboard, and an illegal hit behind the backboard.

Man. I hate it when this happens.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:32pm
This IS My Social Life

Don't Break the Law of Physics -- or -- That's the Way the Ball Bounces

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Always a tough call. As the administering official . . . Man. I hate it when this happens.
I beg to differ with MillyBac, but it seems the laws of physics helps out a little here. If the ball, tossed courtward from OOB deflects off any part of the backboard and proceeds farther into the court, it cannot have hit the back of the backboard. If the ball deflects off part of the backboard and proceeds back again OOB, that same law of physics suggests it must have struck the back of the backboard. Even if it bounced straight downward, you wouldn't have anything, would you? It cannot deflect downward if it hit the back of the backboard.
Am I on the right track here? Or am I being a Drain Cleaner about it and grossly misunderstanding the difficulty making this call?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 04:36pm.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I beg to differ with MillyBac, but it seems the laws of physics helps out a little here. If the ball, tossed courtward from OOB deflects off any part of the backboard and proceeds farther into the court, it cannot have hit the back of the backboard. If the ball deflects off part of the backboard and proceeds back again OOB, that same law of physics suggests it must have struck the back of the backboard. Even if it bounced straight downward, you wouldn't have anything, would you? It cannot deflect downward if it hit the back of the backboard.
Am I on the right track here? Or am I being a Drain Cleaner about it and grossly misunderstanding the difficulty making this call?
I agree, this play isn't nearly as difficult as Billy is making it out to be for the exact reason you pointed out and it was how I was thought to judge the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Am I on the right track here?
That's the way I call it. Doesn't seem that difficult to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

+3 (one for each of the three previous posts)
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

+4, count me in. I have had partners call this numerous times when I am administering when it really didn't hit the back of the backboard. It happened a few weeks ago and the ball went almost straight down to the ground. My partner called it. I discussed it with him later and told him that I didn't feel it was possible for the ball to hit the back of the board and go straight down.