The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in/backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84108-throw-backboard.html)

CoachP Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18am

Throw in/backboard

Ok, what am I missing? Varsity Girls.

Played 3 games this year and already had these 2 instances.

1) A1 throwing in under B basket. We are B in FC press. A1 hits the bottom of the backboard on the throw in and ball is secured off one bounce by B1 about 2 steps in front of the FT line.

2) A1 under A basket. A1 hits bottom of backboard and ball actually comes close to hitting the FT line elbow area on the first bounce before being recovered by A2.

Both plays were whistled dead for a throw in violation. First game, did not think anything of it. Last night when it happened, I asked R about it at halftime. He says on a throw in ALL sides of the backboard are OOB.

???????

tjones1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 803352)
Ok, what am I missing? Varsity Girls.

Played 3 games this year and already had these 2 instances.

1) A1 throwing in under B basket. We are B in FC press. A1 hits the bottom of the backboard on the throw in and ball is secured off one bounce by B1 about 2 steps in front of the FT line.

2) A1 under A basket. A1 hits bottom of backboard and ball actually comes close to hitting the FT line elbow area on the first bounce before being recovered by A2.

Both plays were whistled dead for a throw in violation. First game, did not think anything of it. Last night when it happened, I asked R about it at halftime. He says on a throw in ALL sides of the backboard are OOB.

???????

7.1.2 Situation A

CoachP Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 803354)
7.1.2 Situation A

:o

I have no idea where my case book is....plus I am at work. Got time to whip it out on your keyboard?

tjones1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 803355)
:o

I have no idea where my case book is....plus I am at work. Got time to whip it out on your keyboard?

7.1.2 Situation A: The ball strikes the side edge or top edge of the backboard or passes over the top of the backboard and the ball: (a) came from a throw-in from behind the plane of the backboard; or (b) from a pass or try from the front or back of the plane of the backboard. The does does not touch any supporting brace.

RULING: If a fan-shaped backboard is being used in (a) and (b), the ball remains live. If a rectangular backboard is used i (a), the ball remains live after touching the side edge, but it is a violation if it passes directly over the backboard. In (b), the ball remains live if it touches a side edge or the top edge if it rebounds and comes down in front of the backboard. The ball becomes dead if it passes over the top of the rectangular backboard regardless of the action which causes it to pass over pr whether it comes from the front or back of the place.

Whew, I'm tired.

CoachP Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 803358)
Whew, I'm tired.

LOL...Thanks! So they should not have been called a violation. Thought there may have been something new I missed.

letemplay Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 803360)
LOL...Thanks! So they should not have been called a violation. Thought there may have been something new I missed.

Nope, something old they missed.

Adam Sat Dec 10, 2011 04:23pm

I had an IW on this the other day.

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 10, 2011 04:32pm

I have had a couple of TI violations for actually hitting the back of the backboard in the past week.

bainsey Mon Dec 26, 2011 03:03pm

I had a brain cramp last month and blew the whistle when the ball hit the bottom of the backboard on a backcourt throw-in. I immediately knew I erred, but forunately, thanks to the new team control rule on throw-ins, it went back to the throw-in team anyway.

BillyMac Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:23pm

Good Luck With This Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 808339)
I had a brain cramp last month and blew the whistle when the ball hit the bottom of the backboard on a backcourt throw-in.

Always a tough call. As the administering official, while counting, and preparing for the release of the ball, you're observing the throwin player, watching for side to side movement outside the three foot "box", as well as watching for forward movement that may take the inbounder onto the court. You're also watching the defender that's usually defending the inbounder, watching for movement across the boundary plane. There may also be screening going on near the administering official, that may have to be watched as well. And of course, you're always preparing to chop in the clock when the inbounded ball is touched on the court. When the ball hits the bottom, or back, of the backboard, the best look the administering official may have is with his peripheral vision, and there will only be inches between a legal hit under the backboard, and an illegal hit behind the backboard.

Man. I hate it when this happens.

Freddy Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:32pm

Don't Break the Law of Physics -- or -- That's the Way the Ball Bounces

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 808349)
Always a tough call. As the administering official . . . Man. I hate it when this happens.

I beg to differ with MillyBac, but it seems the laws of physics helps out a little here. If the ball, tossed courtward from OOB deflects off any part of the backboard and proceeds farther into the court, it cannot have hit the back of the backboard. If the ball deflects off part of the backboard and proceeds back again OOB, that same law of physics suggests it must have struck the back of the backboard. Even if it bounced straight downward, you wouldn't have anything, would you? It cannot deflect downward if it hit the back of the backboard.
Am I on the right track here? Or am I being a Drain Cleaner about it and grossly misunderstanding the difficulty making this call?

APG Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808352)
I beg to differ with MillyBac, but it seems the laws of physics helps out a little here. If the ball, tossed courtward from OOB deflects off any part of the backboard and proceeds farther into the court, it cannot have hit the back of the backboard. If the ball deflects off part of the backboard and proceeds back again OOB, that same law of physics suggests it must have struck the back of the backboard. Even if it bounced straight downward, you wouldn't have anything, would you? It cannot deflect downward if it hit the back of the backboard.
Am I on the right track here? Or am I being a Drain Cleaner about it and grossly misunderstanding the difficulty making this call?

I agree, this play isn't nearly as difficult as Billy is making it out to be for the exact reason you pointed out and it was how I was thought to judge the play.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808352)
Am I on the right track here?

That's the way I call it. Doesn't seem that difficult to me.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:58pm

+3 (one for each of the three previous posts)

zm1283 Mon Dec 26, 2011 05:07pm

+4, count me in. I have had partners call this numerous times when I am administering when it really didn't hit the back of the backboard. It happened a few weeks ago and the ball went almost straight down to the ground. My partner called it. I discussed it with him later and told him that I didn't feel it was possible for the ball to hit the back of the board and go straight down.