The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Proper mechanic?

A little discussion on opening tip at first association social over weekend.

Tip goes deep into backcourt and A is being pressured, U2 is on ball on his side from toss

1) Who does count?
2) Does R slide over to C and U1 fill in as lead

Seen it done a few different ways.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Whatever you pregamed is right for that night.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:21pm
This IS My Social Life

Unique, but It Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Tip goes deep into backcourt . . .
Actually practiced this at camp and it's become something we pregame for when it happens, so that it doesn't looking like some sort of firedrill going on.

If the tip goes deep into the backcourt, someone has to cover that endline. Who has the most practical route with the least amount of time and distance necessary to get there? The one administering the jump ball can't cover that--it has to be the official on the sideline originating on that end. He then takes the backcourt count. As the ball advances toward the frontcourt, the jump ball administrator takes C opposite that backcourt official, and the new lead has time while ball is being brought up to loop across to the other side on the endline to become the new lead on the same side as the advancing new trail . . . and all's right with the world.

Can't imagine the jump ball administrator sprinting fast enough to the backcourt to adequately cover the endline on a jump ball deep into the defensive half of the court.

Of course, other perspectives are welcome.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Proper Mechanic

What is usually done when I'm working 3 person is , the U1 or U2 takes the team
with the ball if its going in his side of floor or direction

if blue wins the tip and is going on my side opposite table I'll take it
the official table side chopping the clock wil take the ball if it's going
in his direction

If the ball is caught on my side by the team going in the other direction
I may have to pause a little to make sure the player has not committed a violation
ie; travel ,double bribble etc

It usually works without any difficulty

Someone please give me a reply back

Thank all officials across the board for what we do:

Last edited by habram; Mon Dec 05, 2011 at 01:34pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is really something that should be pre-gamed. Some people feel this should be the U2/U1 and some feel it is the R. I think the U1/2 should take this personally or I have not problem with it. But this would only be the case if the U1/U2 had the ball come deep in their area and probably with some pressure. Otherwise the R can take it. I do not think there is a right or wrong to do this.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 12:11am
C'mon man!!

Shouldn't the R transition to lead on the same side as the U1 in the backcourt and then the U2moves toward mid court to become C? That seems like the least amount of movement with the greatest amount of coverage.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Shouldn't the R transition to lead on the same side as the U1 in the backcourt and then the U2moves toward mid court to become C? That seems like the least amount of movement with the greatest amount of coverage.
I think this method is horrible.

The R is in the middle of the court. He can move to C quickest. U2 would move to L with nobody around.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Aaaahhhh NO!!!

You want the R to go to lead as they bob and weave to get to the end line hoping that they will not run into anyone or get involved in the play. That is by far not the least amount of movement considering that you would have to get to that point on the court. You would either interfere with the play or get hurt trying to run to a spot through players. The R has to kind of wait for things to clear around them, how in the world would they get there?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:58am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Aaaahhhh NO!!!

You want the R to go to lead as they bob and weave to get to the end line hoping that they will not run into anyone or get involved in the play. That is by far not the least amount of movement considering that you would have to get to that point on the court. You would either interfere with the play or get hurt trying to run to a spot through players. The R has to kind of wait for things to clear around them, how in the world would they get there?

Peace
Just seems like it would be a problem for the R either way but the U2 would have the easiest shot to get back to the backcourt already being on the sideline and then the R can move to lead as the players spread out.
That way both R and C aren't moving through players and it seems like there could be a whole lot of players in the backcourt with the R still in the center circle and the U2 taking themselves out of the play by swinging down through the key/endline out of everyones way.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 02:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Just seems like it would be a problem for the R either way but the U2 would have the easiest shot to get back to the backcourt already being on the sideline and then the R can move to lead as the players spread out.
That way both R and C aren't moving through players and it seems like there could be a whole lot of players in the backcourt with the R still in the center circle and the U2 taking themselves out of the play by swinging down through the key/endline out of everyones way.
First of all it is acceptable for U1/U2 if the ball comes in front of them to officiate and even count if necessary once possession takes place in the backcourt. But the R would be the last person you would want to go to the Lead as they have too many players around them first of all and it would be hard for them to get to that position with so many potentially around them. Why would you want the R to go from half court to the end line and the opposite umpire to not go only 20 feet at most to the end line where they can adjust and go across the court? I do not know about you, but usually the circle is surrounded with players and there are not usually many players going to the back court in most cases. I do not see that as much of a problem and certainly see more problems doing what you suggest.

Peace